News   Apr 15, 2024
 652     0 

Toronto Map Society (Like Maps?)

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Even as an administrator of the site, I am not certain that this is the best place to put this thread, but as the most active conversation about maps at this site, the Transit Fantasy Maps thread, is in this section, and as average city maps are mostly 2-D representations of transportation and other infrastructure, here goes…

Anyone besides me ever attend a meeting of the Chicago Maps Society? It's a group that's been meeting almost monthly since the 1970s in that city to discuss all things cartographic.

I have wondered before and I am wondering again if Toronto could support such a group. There are a fair number of cartographers of various stripes in the city as well as plenty of amateur dabblers and many aficionados of maps. The CMS meets at Chicago's renowned Newberry Library, an independent research library that happens to have an excellent collection of maps. I am wondering if a Toronto equivalent could meet either at the Central Reference Library or at Robarts.

Take a look at http://chicagomapsociety.org. It's a good website with lots of information about what they have done over the years and how they are set up. If you would be interested in attending similar style events, or have ideas for what you think might make for an interesting Toronto Map Society, and/or know other people who might be interested, then please post your thoughts or questions below!

Back