News   Mar 28, 2024
 277     0 

Thoughts on the following floorplans?

TheKingEast

Member Bio
Reaction score
2012_02_10_03_47_32_lucas.png

cinema_spielberg_01.png

unit_manuel_x2_the_condominium_by_great_gulf_homes_at_588_jarvis_street_toronto_2_bed_2_bath_100645766398083334.jpg

unit_the_montoya_x2_the_condominium_by_great_gulf_homes_at_588_jarvis_street_toronto_2_bed_2_bath_100645764473079770.jpg

Added a few others:

http://themercercondos.ca/pdf/mp18.pdf
http://themercercondos.ca/pdf/mp19.pdf
http://liveatthedistillery.com/pdfs/suites/courtyard/2bd-312.pdf

Last edited:
All These Floor Plans have way to small of a living room. My clients really didn't like the Lucas layout. I'm not a fan either. The Speilberg was impressive and one of the nicer units in the Cinema Tower.

Any second bedroom without a window seems useless space to me. Clients never liked the idea of what they can use it for(Extra Closet). The last layout will be way too dark. Just noticed too no baloncy? :| Pass.

All These Floor Plans have way to small of a living room. My clients really didn't like the Lucas layout. I'm not a fan either. The Speilberg was impressive and one of the nicer units in the Cinema Tower.

Any second bedroom without a window seems useless space to me. Clients never liked the idea of what they can use it for(Extra Closet). The last layout will be way too dark. Just noticed too no baloncy? :| Pass.

I actually like the Lucas layout. It's small but I like how the kitchen is separated from the rest of the space. The Spielberg is nice too, but I found it to be a little tight. The Lucas' living room has more usable space. Thing is, the Spielberg is cheaper so it would be the better buy IMO. There's like a $15K difference in price I believe and I don't think it's worth it. Both units are small but extremely well done. The location is excellent. Not really good for a family but more like a young couple. You're right, though. The living rooms are really small. Still thinking about it, but I think the price is too high right now.

As for the X2 units...the 2nd bedroom without the window doesn't really bother me..especially if you're using it as a den. Again, it all depends on what you will use it for. I thought about the lighting for the 2nd X2 unit I posted. But it appears that it clears the podium of the X condo ahead of it and there shouldn't be any obstruction. I'll have to go check this out for myself as I wouldn't buy unless I could access the unit and see it with my own eyes. The balcony was a bit of an issue at first but the last 3 condos I have had all had balconies and I never used them.

If I couldn't get a deal, I wouldn't be thinking about these units. I'll have more floorplans to come since I'm making the rounds. Good to see a lot of builders are giving deals and are open for some negotiation.

Although I prefer the kitchen in the Lucas, I prefer the layout overall in the Spielberg. The Spielberg will be a brighter unit with more windows, even the den will be relatively bright. In the Lucas, there will be no natural light in the den. Both layouts, however, are very space efficient.

For the X2 units, It is unfortunate that the pillars take so much room away from the living spaces. If the pillars were more space efficient you could actually have a four seater dining table in the second of the two layouts. Each of the two layouts have their own benefits and drawbacks. The first one has a larger living room space and a larger walk in closet in the Master bedroom. This is offset by the smaller living room but extra storage with a pantry in the kitchen. The second layout also has the smaller walk in closet in the master bedroom but then a larger closet at the entrance.

I dont understand why the designers are squeezing in 2 full baths in the lucas and speilberg - it seesm like a powder room would be more appropriate given the square footage.

As for the other two models = I hate bedrooms with no windows.

2 full baths in smaller units seem to be more and more popular. Seeing a lot of 1+1 with 2 bathrooms now. Developers are trying to make units more affordable by squeezing more rooms and bathrooms in. It essentially turns what should be a 1 bedroom 1 bath spacious unit into a cramped 2 bed 2 bath unit. I guess it works for some people.

I'd use the 2nd bed as a den so the windowless 2nd bedroom is no big deal to me. I saw a 2 bed unit where neither bedroom had a window. Seems like we're moving in this direction since units are getting smaller and smaller.

Here are some other units I'm considering:
http://themercercondos.ca/pdf/mp18.pdf
http://themercercondos.ca/pdf/mp19.pdf
http://liveatthedistillery.com/pdfs/suites/courtyard/2bd-312.pdf

That unit at distillery has been sitting for so long. The views are horrendous.

As for Mercer street; 2 full bathrooms beside each other is very excessive and that kitchen layout which I lived in before will feel crammed very fast you can't have people sitting at the bar stools and be able to walk to the bathroom without squeezing up against the wall.

A lot of people will be turned off by the kitchen being smack in the middle of the entrance (thinking resale/ renting shouldn't be a problem). It's a good size and my favourite out of the three layouts but low floor and relative darkness would put me off. Definitely need to see it in person.

why don't you consider some of the 2 bed at mercer. similar sq ft as the 1+1 you're considering:

http://themercercondos.ca/pdf/m09.pdf - interior windowless bedroom but the expansive wall of windows in the kitchen/DR/LR should let plenty of light in

http://themercercondos.ca/pdf/m10.pdf - bedrooms are smaller than above even though the unit is larger in sq ft

M09 is all but sold out. Just one unit left and it's going for A LOT! The price doesn't even make any sense.

M10 is pretty good. Adding parking will push me over my budget and I'm not sure I like the building enough to do that. It's still under consideration.

can you give the square footage and links? it's hard for me to see the dimensions, especially the bottom one.

thanks

E22

PRO:
* nice straight forward squarish layout without any structural pillars impeding in space
* not much wasted space and large balcony
* large entry closet !
* all rooms have windows

CON:
* sliding walls
* den might be abit less bright as it's facing north and another wing of the complex ~10 feet away
* main bedroom is on smaller side at 8'10" x 11'1". if possible and desired, the WIC could be made slightly smaller to enlarge the bedroom
* den doesn't have closet so might not be able to use that as 2nd bedroom
* linear kitchen, stove abuts wall - dangerous and not ergonomically correct
* kitchen could have been bumped out at least a foot to accommodate extra counter space on other side of stove and form a pantry that wraps around the hallway

G25

PRO:
* nice straight forward squarish layout. although there are 2 structural pillars in living space and bedroom
* large entry closet !
* bedrooms are large and have windows

CON:
* sliding walls
* unit faces S so might be near the DVP/Gardiner Expressway resulting in additional noise and pollution
* sliding door for main bedroom makes the only wall unusable to hang tv, art, etc. better off with traditional door.
* is the island fixed or moveable? usable for seating or only storage?
I think I'd prefer the island be 5 ft further to the right closer to the bedrooms so it provides larger space for living room

H22

PRO:
* nice straight forward squarish layout. although there is 1 structural pillar in LR/DR space
* all rooms have windows

CON:
* sliding wall
* master bedroom is on smaller side at 9'8"" x 11'2"
* den doesn't have closet so might not be able to use that as 2nd bedroom
* is the island fixed or moveable? usable for seating or only storage?
I don't think 2 modes of access to the kitchen is necessary so I'd prefer the island be extended 4 ft further to the left abutting the bedroom wall so it provides seating or additional storage.
Or leave as-is and construct floor-to-ceiling pantry about 1 ft deep wall-to-wall (about 4 feet wide)

Thanks cdr! Yea... I hate the abundance of sliding walls in some units. It's overkill. I get it in a tiny unit. But not in a large 2 bed unit. I was considering building out a wall and getting rid of the doors.

I'm pretty sure the islands are immovable.

I'm not sure if I really want a wall of sliding doors for the master bedroom as I will probably want it closed most of the time, especially when there's guests. It's definitely fine for the 2nd bedroom as those are often used as a den or as a rarely used guest bedroom and opening that room up would make the living space feel more spacious, or even expanding the living rooms into this space.

In general I would prefer to have the walk-in shower in the master bath and the tub in the second bathroom as the shower is used much more often and showering in a walk-in shower is much more appreciated than showering in a tub.

How much is the M09 model at the Mercer selling for? I don't find the unit that great and it's next to the trash chute.

I agree that having 2 full bathrooms is excessive for a 1+1. I'd rather have only one bathroom and have larger living areas instead, or at least have a powder room for those occasional guests. And having two doors to a bathroom is a waste of space and awkward. Having direct access between a 2nd bedroom to a bathroom is not necessary and wastes wall space limiting furniture placement.

Back