2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 768     0 

Regions of Ontario

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do people agree with the definitions for the regions of Ontario?:

Central: Dufferin, Haliburton, Haliburton, Hastings, Kawartha Lakes, Muskoka, Northumberland, Parry Sound, Peterborough, Prince Edward, Simcoe

Eastern: Frontenac, Lanark, Leeds and Grenville, Lennox and Addington, Ottawa, Prescott and Russell, Renfrew, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

Golden Horseshoe: Durham, Halton, Hamilton, Niagara, Peel, Toronto, York

Northern: Algoma, Cochrane, Greater Sudbury, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Rainy River, Thunder Bay, Timiskaming

Southwestern: Brantford/Brant, Bruce, Chatham-Kent, Elgin, Essex, Grey, Haldimand, Huron, Lambton, Middlesex, Norfolk, Oxford, Perth, Waterloo, Wellington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Geographic_regions_of_Ontario

I'm mostly in agreement though I see Prince Edward and Hastings as part of Eastern Ontario and I can be convinced either way of whether Parry Sound/Muskoka are Northern or Central Ontario.

Being Here in Cobourg (Northumberland County), I don't really relate to any region. We get flip flopped between Central and Eastern Ontario as well as the Golden Horseshoe depending on where you look and who you talk to. If I had to pick I'd say we mostly relate with the Eastern GTA (Whitby/Oshawa and east specifically), there is also a fairly strong connection with Peterborough. Hardly anyone travels east unless they have to. What's strange though is almost immediately east of Cobourg there is a much stronger connection with Eastern Ontario, almost like Cobourg is the dividing line.

Yeah, I think of it more as central but there are some "eastern" characteristics. For postal codes, Port Hope/Cobourg is the borderline between "L" and "K" but I think 613 starts in Brighton. When postal codes were established Port Hope was in Durham County and Cobourg was in Northumberland County.

For me, Midwestern Ontario was Haldimand, Norfolk, Oxford, Brant, Waterloo, Wellington, Grey, Bruce, Perth and Huron Counties. Southwestern Ontario would be Lambton, Middlesex, Elgin, Kent and Essex Counties.

I agree that Cobourg/Port Hope (as well as Lindsay and Peterborough) are on the dividing line between Central and Eastern Ontario. Belleville is definitely Eastern Ontario.

So Eastern Ontario: Prescott and Russell, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, Carleton, Lanark, Renfrew, Leeds and Grenville, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington, Hastings, Prince Edward Counties.

Peterborough, Northumberland and Victoria Counties are more of a grey area. My inclination is to lump Victoria County in with Haliburton and Simcoe Counties into Central Ontario. The City of Peterborough the Township of Smith-Ennismore-Lakefield, the Towns of Cobourg and Port Hope and Hamilton Township into Central, the rest into East. Campbellford is definitely Eastern Ontario.

Hello, i am new, and a bit lost here...Sorry, i leave in France, i am Canadian, i speak French...i leave in Ottawa before, now that i am in France, i am making a lot of research of the history of Byward Market, that why i register at the forum. still if i know the history of France, i am now working on the history of my country....spécially Byward Market, Murray Street, Clarence Street, the Courtyard.

My search for the past in Ottawa, Newpapers and a lot of others research , i find a lot of stories that fascined me.

It's a way for me to speak again english, sorry if i make some mistake.

Thank you.

Postal code prefix by historic county:

K (Eastern Ontario): Addington, Carleton, Dundas, Frontenac, Glengarry, Grenville, Haliburton, Hastings, Lanark, Leeds, Lennox, Northumberland, Peterborough, Prescott, Prince Edward, Renfrew, Russell, Stormont, Victoria

L (Central Ontario): Dufferin, Durham, Halton, Lincoln, Ontario, Peel, Simcoe, Welland, Wentworth, York

M (Metropolitan Toronto)

N (Southwestern Ontario): Brant, Bruce, Elgin, Essex, Grey, Haldimand, Huron, Kent, Lambton, Middlesex, Norfolk, Oxford, Perth, Waterloo, Wellington

P (Northern Ontario districts): Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timiskaming

Part of the reason for the "confusion" around Cobourg/Port Hope and Lindsay/Peterborough: Port Hope was historically part of Durham County, other parts of Durham also were added to Peterborough and Victoria counties during the 1970s.

Historically, Durham County did not exist.

There was Ontario County, which I suppose mostly became Durham, but there was redistribution of townships to Simcoe and northumberland as well as Peterborough as you state. Are you sure about Victoria?

Yeah, it's interesting how the conception of Central Ontario has changed. Historically it meant South Central Ontario - lodged between Western and Eastern Ontario (all of which were subregions of Southern Ontario). Now the Golden Horseshoe is usually seen as its own region and Central Ontario is associated with the area outside the Golden Horseshoe remaining parts or with "Cottage Country."

Last edited:

Back