News   Mar 28, 2024
 999     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 556     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Canadian Premier League T20 Cricket Stadium (?,?,?)

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
Seems unlikely, but you never know.

201478-cricket-stadium.jpg

A 35,000 seat cricket stadium looks to be in the cards for the Greater Toronto Area, as the Canadian Premier League T20 has worked out financing for the project with Avcom Investments Inc. While the location has yet to be decided on, with a funding plan in place, the eventual site is going to be home to one spectacular looking facility, especially compared to current pitches around the city. The cost of the stadium has been pegged at $700 million.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/07/massive_cricket_stadium_coming_to_the_gta/

I'll eat my hat if that thing ever gets built

$700 million?!?! This will cost as much as the Skydome? This will never see the light of day. Heck, we are having trouble finding an extra $10 to expand BMO field.

well it's supposed to be "private" funds

$700 million?!?! This will cost as much as the Skydome? This will never see the light of day. Heck, we are having trouble finding an extra $10 to expand BMO field.

No we're not....MLSE and the City have agreed to the funding for the expansion and you should see work there right after the closing of this year's Ex.

I don't know the economics of cricket...but I do understand there is a lot of TV money worldwide for the sport and that events get concentrated in specific venues....so perhaps there is an economic model that makes private investment of this size worthwile.

I would stick this on the land beside the Powerade Centre in Brampton. Close to the airport and highways and on land specifically zoned/planned for sporting infrastructure.

I guess I no longer have to fear that a NFL team will never come here because it costs about 1 billion to build a stadium.

The fact that they are pitching The Islands as a suitable spot for this makes me think they don't really know what they are doing. There's no way it would EVER be approved for The Islands. Portlands, Exhibition Place or Dowsnview Park would probably be the best Toronto locales.

No we're not....MLSE and the City have agreed to the funding for the expansion and you should see work there right after the closing of this year's Ex.

I don't know the economics of cricket...but I do understand there is a lot of TV money worldwide for the sport and that events get concentrated in specific venues....so perhaps there is an economic model that makes private investment of this size worthwile.

I would stick this on the land beside the Powerade Centre in Brampton. Close to the airport and highways and on land specifically zoned/planned for sporting infrastructure.

Additional money is needed to bring the Argos on board...and that has not been forthcoming, either from the public and private sectors.

Additional money is needed to bring the Argos on board...and that has not been forthcoming, either from the public and private sectors.

There was a request for $20mil split between the feds and the province. The other $100 mil (10 from city 90 from MLSE) is in place. MLSE have already said they are going ahead without the feds/prov and, you are correct, without the Argos....but that does not mean, as you stated, that we can't find the money to expand BMO.....like I said, you will see work commence shortly after Labour Day.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-mlse-and-federal-government/article18862832/

Last edited:
On the subject of cricket and the viability of a team or fan market in the GTA my question is, is their a market for selling cricket to second and third etc. generation GTA immigrant families? I think this is an interesting question. There are high school cricket teams in some high schools with large South Asian populations. Do people from cricket loving nations convert to other sports like baseball or basketball here or do they have strong ties to cricket that last for generations?

You somehow thought it was less? All the new NFL stadiums have price tags in and around the $1B range ( http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/future.htm )

no i just thought with the price tag of a franchise plus the stadium costs that no one would do it. but if someone is crazy enough to spend 700 million on a cricket stadium then clearly someone might be crazy enough to deliver us a nfl team. I say this as someone who spent a month in india on business where they only play cricket, so i get the appeal just question it in canada even with a growing imigrant population.

no i just thought with the price tag of a franchise plus the stadium costs that no one would do it. but if someone is crazy enough to spend 700 million on a cricket stadium then clearly someone might be crazy enough to deliver us a nfl team. I say this as someone who spent a month in india on business where they only play cricket, so i get the appeal just question it in canada even with a growing imigrant population.

oh...totally misinterpreted your statement...sorry.

Back