554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 847     0 

New Toronto

JKDM

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
The stunning beauty of Col. Samuel Smith Park, the delicious chocolate and ice cream of Sweet Olenka's, The Campbell's Soup factory, a vibrant Polish and Ukrainian community, Humber College - Lakeshore Campus, Lakeshore Super Submarine (one of the best and last remaining old-school cold submarine shops in Toronto), Egglicious Café & Grill (they make a mean, hearty breakfast), the remarkable views of our burgeoning skyline from Cliff Lumsdon Park and Prince of Wales Park ... these are just some of the reasons why I'm extremely honoured to live in New Toronto.

Never been down here? Come have a look. It's worth the streetcar ride.

Hope to see you around!

*crickets*

Have any of you ever been to New Toronto?

Tucked between Mimico and Long Branch all the way down in South Etobicoke?

No?

Fair enough.

More for me to enjoy.

I've biked through the area several times, often on some of my mid- and long- range bike trips out of the city. This area does feel quite urban and is a very pleasant environment, reminding me of a much larger Port Credit in Mississauga. One of the main features for me is how the parks along the shore are starting to link up, creating long stretches of very pleasant biking trails.

I personally feel that Lakeshore Blvd. is a bit wide in this area, and could have benefited tremendously from having retail on both sides, rather than just on the South Side. Regardless, the mid-density developments in the area are starting to add vibrancy, which will only increase with Lakeview development in Mississauga. I see nothing but positives in the coming future.

The lakeside location is like the Beach but more affordable. There's nothing wrong with South Etobicoke, but it always has lower property values than the rest of the city for some reason.

I ended up spending a lot of time last year in Mimico/New Toronto/Long Branch (worked on a friend's City Council campaign in ward 6). It seems very "off the radar" of most Torontonians - few trendy urbanites go past High Park on the streetcar and few Torontonians seem to think there's much south of the QEW. So it has a bit of an insular, small town feel. It does seem in many respects feel like an "undiscovered Beaches" in some parts, though more suburban in character.

Back