1K     0 

SkyTran Being Tested, If Successful Will Spread To Other Cities

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
New hover car trial planned for Tel Aviv

JUN. 25, 2014

By Jolyon Attwooll

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10924769/New-hover-car-trial-planned-for-Tel-Aviv.html

Visitors to Tel Aviv may one day be able to dodge the city’s traffic in a novel way – by travelling in a network of hover cars suspended above the ground. According to a BBC report, a 500m loop for two-man “jet-like” vehicles will shortly be built on the grounds of Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).

- Its ambitions include an aim to “revolutionise public transportation and, with it, urban and suburban commuting.”
Using Magnetic Levitation technology, the system will be tested and refined on the IAI campus – the most substantial trial to date. It is due to be up and running by the end of next year, the BBC reports. The hover cars in the trial will travel at around 43 miles per hour, although they are capable of much higher speeds.

- If the Tel Aviv prototype succeeds, the two companies say they expect the network would be implemented on a commercial basis in the city. If put in place, the system would allow locals and visitors to order a vehicle to a station by smartphone then head to their destination. Jerry Sanders of skyTran described the Tel Aviv project as “a breakthrough”.

SgjHQ5d.jpg

qPyJZyw.jpg

HNkvqve.jpg

[video=youtube;F86hjy63bVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F86hjy63bVA[/video]

I have no idea where they found this highway, it's verry grassy. Also, is that supposed to be the Nashville skyline? Cleveland?

I'm sure this thing and hyperloop will revolutionize transit any day now.

Maybe we should just run ski gondolas everywhere:

Brauneck2_1557791c.jpg

Oh wait public transit will become obsolete soon anyways due to automated cars and automated aerial drones that carry people.

Sorry, but I'm immediately skeptical of new shinny technology when it comes to transit, especially things that look like "PRT". PRT on wheels could make more sense, but then you just have a taxi system like uber (but maybe without the drivers).

Back