News   Apr 19, 2024
 788     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Nelson Mandela St

ksun

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/06/toronto-honour-nelson-mandela-street-dedication

I think to give part of an existing street a new name is stupid. Queen E, Mandela St, then Queen W, that's hell is that? Plus Queen W is too well known with two subway stops on both side of Mandela St. I would hate that.

Rename University is bad too. University is called University for a reason. Plus, our subway will be called Yonge-Nelson Mandela-Spadina line in the future?

Rename a section of Bathurst is a bad idea will only cause confusion too.

If at all, just rename the entire Shuter as Nelson Mandela St. Gerard E is fine as well (Gerard W would have to be just Gerard), but just not a section of it. Toronto has enough of streets that suddenly change names out of blue.

If you read the article thoroughly, you will see that this is an honourary renaming, like Ed Mirvish Way or Paul Oberman Walk - which are still officially called Duncan Street and Market Street respectively.

Addresses and street names would stay the same and the only change would be a line underneath the street signs highlighting the honorary name

If you read the article thoroughly, you will see that this is an honourary renaming, like Ed Mirvish Way or Paul Oberman Walk - which are still officially called Duncan Street and Market Street respectively.

Addresses and street names would stay the same and the only change would be a line underneath the street signs highlighting the honorary name

I see. I did miss that.
In that case, I vote for the either Queen or University, since they are more central.

I actually prefer the stretch of Shuter street that has the school.

This is a guy who could have had a big, fancy tombstone anywhere in South Africa but wanted to be taken back to his childhood village and ancestral home. He was for and about the people, not politicians and dignitaries. And he was a big champion of education, so the tie-in with the school is nice. Especially if something were ever to happen to that building (I know it was renovated and hopefully you will have families living in the area so you won't even want to get rid of a school, but you never know with this city... :rolleyes:). I don't know, I guess I just feel like that area is closer to the people who really hold him to their hearts, not politicians who use him as a prop.

My second choice was the stretch of University where they led the march. It has been the site of other protests/marches and it'd be nice for some kind of spirit of protest to be there (though it seems to get crushed more and more these days). He has been co-opted by everyone but he was a revolutionary.

I voted for Shuter Street as well.

I wish they would come up with a more original design than the default cursive font you see on other honourary signs.

Which street should be named after Nelson Madela

See here: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...VCM10000071d60f89RCRD&appInstanceName=default

Here are the potential streets to be renamed after the late South African president Nelson Mandela:

Queen Street West – Yonge Street to University Avenue
Located along this stretch of Queen St. W. are a number of significant Toronto institutions – Old City Hall, Toronto City Hall, Osgoode Hall. During Nelson Mandela's first visit to Toronto in 1990, his then-wife Winnie Mandela led a march from City Hall, located on Queen Street West, to Queen's Park. A memorial marking Canada's involvement in the South African War is also located on University Avenue, just north of Queen Street.
Shuter Street – River Street to Parliament Street
In 2001, Nelson Mandela attended the re-naming celebration of an elementary school in his honour. Nelson Mandela Park Public School is located on Shuter Street.
Gerrard Street East – Jarvis Street to Yonge Street
In 2001, Nelson Mandela received an honorary doctorate degree from Ryerson University. In his acceptance speech, he celebrated children and youth, education, and the pursuit of universal peace.
Bathurst Street – College Street to Herrick Street
In 1990, Nelson Mandela first visited Toronto and spoke to students at Central Technical Secondary School at Harbord Street & Bathurst Street about the poor treatment of black students in South Africa.
University Avenue – Front Street West to College Street
During his visit in 1990, Nelson Mandela's then-wife, Winnie Mandela, led a march , on University Avenue, from Toronto City Hall to Queen's Park where Nelson Mandela gave a speech to a crowd of 30,000 people. A memorial marking Canada's involvement in the South African War is also located on University Avenue, just north of Queen Street.

I agree with Kat, I am leaning to Shuter Street. But good point on the positives of University selection

Honourary street names have almost no meaning. To make more of an impact, the city should find some world-famous people with a Toronto connection, but also perhaps famous Canadian battles and events and rename entire streets and landmarks for them. Some property owners would complain, but everyone would get used to the new superior names within a year and forget about the old. Streets with names like Richmond, Adelaide, Bloor are low-hanging fruit for more culturally relevant and colourful names like Lester Pearson Street, Jane Jacobs Avenue, William Lyon Mackenzie Boulevard and Vimy Avenue.

Honourary street names have almost no meaning. To make more of an impact, the city should find some world-famous people with a Toronto connection, but also perhaps famous Canadian battles and events and rename entire streets and landmarks for them. Some property owners would complain, but everyone would get used to the new superior names within a year and forget about the old. Streets with names like Richmond, Adelaide, Bloor are low-hanging fruit for more culturally relevant and colourful names like Lester Pearson Street, Jane Jacobs Avenue, William Lyon Mackenzie Boulevard and Vimy Avenue.
...and some of those names had been recycled. For example, the northern part of Bay Street was once known as Terauley. When that was renamed as an extension of Bay Street, another street named Terauley was created nearby. That street is removed for the Eaton Centre.

or even better, rename some streets that have duplicated names. I recall a lady came to me on Church street (downtown) asking for directions. She was looking for a doctor's office, but she wanted the Church street that is up around Jane Street north of Lawrence. She didn't speak English too well, and I was trying to tell her she was supposed to be on a different Church street. And no way she was going to get to her appointment on time. I felt so bad for her.

or even better, rename some streets that have duplicated names. I recall a lady came to me on Church street (downtown) asking for directions. She was looking for a doctor's office, but she wanted the Church street that is up around Jane Street north of Lawrence. She didn't speak English too well, and I was trying to tell her she was supposed to be on a different Church street. And no way she was going to get to her appointment on time. I felt so bad for her.

There are four triplicate street names. City council refuses to deal with it. They would be good candidates.

Gibson Avenue
Franklin Avenue
George Street
Byng Avenue

See this link for the list.

Last edited:
I'm opposed to any major street being renamed.

Not because I oppose Nelson Mandela, but because I oppose precisely this sort of needless waste in government.

Street signs will need to be changed, etc.

Total waste of money.

There are four triplicate street names. City council refuses to deal with it. They would be good candidates.

Gibson Avenue
Franklin Avenue
George Street
Byng Avenue

See this link for the list.

Don't forget we have two Gerrard Street Easts. Perhaps we could simply rename the one ALL the way from University to Coxwell!

Not because I oppose Nelson Mandela, but because I oppose precisely this sort of needless waste in government.

Total waste of money.

Major streets maybe yes, but what about minor streets? The people on that minor street would oppose it. Change the "Street" to "Drive", "Avenue", "Boulevard", "Road", whatever, at least.

Total waste of money.

I disagree. It won't cost much and relevant street names will remind people of the great people associated with the city. It's good for city pride and inspiring people. The long-term value exceeds the cost. I also support Heritage Minutes.

Back