News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 277     0 

Roads: Missing Links in the Road Network

dunkalunk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread about it, so I created one. Here are my ideas in order of likely to unlikely:

Davenport Rd Extension to Keele St:

The plan would be to have Davenport Ave cross over top of St. Clair ave due to constraints caused by the existing grade separation and to reduce intersection frequency on St Clair. The road would then intersect with an extended Turnberry Ave. Turnberry ave would pass under the rail corridor to intersect with Gunns Road in order to provide a connection between the two sections of Keele. North of Turnberry, the road extension would continue as Keele St

This is complicated enough to warrant a map.

The main benefits here are that it provides better distribution of traffic from Black Creek Drive instead of funnelling it all onto Weston/Keele. It also acts a a releiver of Old Weston Rd.

Extend Front Street Ramps to the Gardiner:

Pretty self explanatory. Reduces the load on the York-Bay Ramps and improves access to CityPlace

Repair Meadowvale Rd at Highway 2A:

The Scarborough Expressway is long dead. Probably a good idea to put in an at-grade intersection or overpass.

Church St Extension to Dixon/Scarlett:

Not the most essential, but it would improve connectivity across Etobicoke Creek.

Extend Glengarry Rd to Missisauga Rd:

Extending a road across the Credit River Valley would be expensive. Extending it across a country club would be even more expensive. However, the lack of north-south connections and access to the QEW in southern Mississauga is absurd.

Reconnecting Stavebank Rd across the QEW (Missisauga):

Pretty much the same argument as above, although it would functionally act as an extension of Mavis Rd. A good way to get a lot of nice people with expensive houses mad, so it will probably will never happen. At the very least, it could use a pedestrian tunnel.

Connecting the two halves of Lawrence Ave through the Bridle Path:

Ramming a four-lane arterial through some of the most expensive private real estate in the country for the benefit of the entire city? Put this in the category of "will never happen"

Last edited:
My understanding is that the davenport road extension is in fact happening.

Another one is the morningside extension to meet with Donald cuesens parkway.

Extend Front Street Ramps to the Gardiner:

Pretty self explanatory. Reduces the load on the York-Bay Ramps and improves access to CityPlace

It is too bad the city has to foot the cost of projects on their own....this is sort of project that the Feds and Province should get involved in. It is too bad we never see press conferences where the City, Province and Feds all commit money to a project like this and actually put the money in the bank to do this sort of project.....oh wait, I forgot about 1999 for a second there.

Where exactly would these "Front Street Ramps to the Gardiner" be built?
Are you proposing a huge new bridge directly over top of Fort York followed by a ramp that is dozens of meters above ground?

Where exactly would these "Front Street Ramps to the Gardiner" be built?
Are you proposing a huge new bridge directly over top of Fort York followed by a ramp that is dozens of meters above ground?

Pretty much in a ditch north of the Lakeshore rail corridor underneath Strachan and the Kitchener rail corridor connecting to Bathurst St. Alternatively, put it above the rail corridor on a cable-stayed viaduct.

My understanding is that the davenport road extension is in fact happening.

When/where did you hear this? It's certainly news to me!

Last edited:
Along with that Davenport idea, I wish they'd bring the old weston road bridge back. It would help relieve the Dundas/Annette/Dupont and Dundas/Keele intersections. It'd be fine if those roads were all one lane per direction with large seperated bike lanes and sidewalks.

I'm not sure I understand the Davenport extension. Can someone put it on a map? And is it really slated to happen?

Also, I agree that connecting the two Old Weston Roads wouldn't be that hard to do if money for a large bridge was to be found.

We've had this debate here before, but I think any kind of Front Street Extension concept is a non-starter in 2014. The decision to quasi-pedestrianize Front Street in front of Union stripped away any remaining shred of wisdom behind the idea of funnelling large quantities of core-bound vehicle traffic off the Gardiner and onto Front.

1. Rathburn Rd to Rathburn Rd East
2. Lawrence Ave East to Lawrence Ave East
3. The Queensway to Erin Mills Pkwy via Blythe Road

I don't think it's on the books, but Palacio sent around a flyer in the neighbourhood wherein he was pitching for it.
I understand $35m is being set aside to do this by the City and to be done around 2020, but don't hold me to it. Then how long did it take to do the Dufferin Jog?? The new connection will happen at Weston Rd & Gunn's Rd and line up with Keele on the east side.

The Queensway to Erin Mills Pkwy is on the books now and 40 years late in doing so.

Rathburn Rd to Rathburn Rd East is to happen, but the local's are putting up a fight to stop it to the point it was to be done a few years ago.

Creditview Rd is to be extended under Old Derry Rd & 401 and connect to the Derry Rd bypass

Need an e-w road south of the QEW in Mississauga and going over the Port Credit River. This also applies to the north & south service Rd.

Mississauga lacks n-s & e-w major road.

I agree with
Lawrence Ave East to Lawrence Ave East connection, but many issues to deal with to do it.

Front extension is still been talk about at a local level with no connection to the Gardiner. Need to have transit on the extension if it happens and right across it for the full length.

Big Mistake in closing 2nd Line as a n-s road.

I understand $35m is being set aside to do this by the City and to be done around 2020, but don't hold me to it. Then how long did it take to do the Dufferin Jog?? The new connection will happen at Weston Rd & Gunn's Rd and line up with Keele on the east side.

So, from what I understand, no planned connection to Davenport then; which is totally fine. Connecting Keele to Gunns Rd is a short, functional piece of road with relatively few obstacles except the rail corridor itself.

Front extension is still been talk about at a local level with no connection to the Gardiner. Need to have transit on the extension if it happens and right across it for the full length.

As a local road, Front Street would easily connect to Ordnance St. In terms of a bus route, 47 Lansdowne would naturally extend down Jameson to Springhurst, through Liberty Village and then along Front to the Don Lands.

On a related note, whatever happened to the Liberty New Street proposal? This local collector road would have run just north of the rail corridor from Dufferin to Pirandello.

Back