News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     5 

"Older, Smaller, Better"

adHominem

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm at work and haven't had a chance to read the below-linked report, but I thought this might be of interest to some on here, w/r/t our ongoing debates about the value and uses of heritage designation. (To be honest, I'm also posting this to remind myself to come back and read it when I have a chance.)

http://www.preservationnation.org/information-center/sustainable-communities/green-lab/oldersmallerbetter/

All across America, blocks of older, smaller buildings are quietly contributing to robust local economies and distinctive livable communities. This groundbreaking study demonstrates the unique and valuable role that older, smaller buildings play in the development of sustainable cities. Building on statistical analysis of the built fabric of three major American cities, the research demonstrates that established neighborhoods with a mix of older, smaller buildings perform better than districts with larger, newer structures when tested against a range of economic, social, and environmental outcome measures.

Back