Member Bio
Reaction score
Capturechurch.JPG

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M6C 2T1

Ward 21: St. Paul's

Application#: 14 158120 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: May 16, 2014

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: To retain a portion of the existing church and construct a nine storey mulit use building contyaining 53 residential units and 28 below grade parking spaces.

Stanton Renaissance are the developers here

http://stantonrenaissance.com/portfolio/wychwood/

Located in the exclusive St. Clair and Bathurst area, Stanton Renaissance is planning an exciting transformation of the Wychwood Davenport Presbyterian Church. Built in 1926, the church is showing its years and is in need of refurbishment. With plans to re-energize the property with a high end residential boutique that will provide an exceptional address on a transit oriented artery, and convenient retail and services close at hand. Stanton Renaissance will incorporate its stringent environmental features to the project, ensuring that the community’s heritage is preserved and the latest green and clean technologies are in place to provide residents and the larger community with a sterling addition to the neighbourhood.

Commentary from councillor Josh Matlow on this proposal:

A new eight-story condo is being proposed for St. Clair Avenue West and Wychwood Avenue to replace a “derelict” church that dates back to 1937.

The proposal for 155 Wychwood Ave. consists of 29 condos that vary from one to three bedrooms, as well as 250 square metres of retail space on the ground floor with three bays facing St. Clair Avenue West.

It features a brick-and-glass design done by KC AU Architects that local councillor Josh Matlow said is “really nicely detailed” and “references some of the materials of the church,” which had a dark brick design that reflected its Scottish Presbyterian origins.

-----------

Matlow said that the area is in need of new residences as more people are moving to the city and can’t find a place to live.

“It’s really important that we have a supply of affordable housing in our city for people to be able to live here, and certainly this community is no exception,” he said.

How affordable the condos will be hasn’t been determined, but Matlow is pushing for it.

There have been some community concerns about traffic, Matlow noted, and the use of a nearby laneway, which children currently play in. Twenty-two parking spots have been proposed for the laneway.

However, Matlow said the developer has promised to do a traffic study to address those concerns.

“[The developers] are not trying to exceed the city’s vision for what the height should be at eight storeys, which is rare these days,” he said.

As for the retail at the bottom of the building, Matlow hopes that it will consist of smaller mom-and-pop shops rather than a big box store to maintain character on St. Clair Avenue West.

The history of the site will also likely be commemorated in some way that has not been determined.

Odd that no one is concerned about demolishing this. The church (seen from the outside) is not particularly special, but city heritage planners have fought battles over much lesser buildings.

It's not particularly impressive from the outside, but I agree that it would be better to preserve it in some form. Losing it entirely for the proposed condo will result in a more homogeneous and boring street.

The overgrown trees and shrubbery have obscured a large portion of the St. Clair frontage, but this is a respectable church structure with quality brick and stone detailing. The city has had a strong record of church conversions and adaptations up until this point. Especially in the areas west of downtown, going all the way towards the notable cluster on Annette in the Junction/High Park. This one here does look like an unfortunate oversight.

It's a pretty nice church, I really am surprised there's not much being raised in terms of saving the building. I'd much rather see this project just consist of a few townhomes around the church, facingtiward the neighbourhood, than the current bloated proposal. I'm disappointed in Matlow's view of the project...even though I sort of understand his opinion....or at least I try to.

I think it's important to note that the developer is requesting to demolish the former Church, but it is a listed heritage property and it is so early in the development process that Heritage staff have not yet provided public comments. City Council and Heritage Staff acted to protect the Church in order to prevent it from being demolished. I think it is likely Heritage Preservation staff will push back.

Back