News   Mar 28, 2024
 350     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 702     0 

TTC: McNicoll Bus Garage (Approved)

epcjay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this? Someone sent me this. Appears construction will start in 2016. I know there has been lots of talk but no action on this but looks like we have an actual date now?

Discuss

From the
April 30, 2014

Board Meeting Highlights

at this link:

Update on the future McNicoll Bus Garage

Board Members received a presentation from TTC staff on the status of planning activities for the future McNicoll Bus Garage. The TTC is planning on starting construction of a new bus division/garage at the corner of Kennedy Road and McNicoll Avenue in Scarborough in 2016. The new facility will have capacity to store and maintain 250, 12-metre (40-foot) and 18.3-metre (60-foot) buses.

A new garage is required to add capacity for the TTC’s growing bus fleet, which is needed to carry increasing numbers of riders. The new garage will cost $181 million, but the TTC is currently facing a $101-million shortfall in the 2014-2023 Capital Budget. Community consultations began last fall. The next public consultation meeting is scheduled for May 14.

The STATUS OF PLANNING ACTIVITIES FOR THE MCNICOLL BUS GARAGE can be downloaded from this link.

Last edited:
About the same as the seniors at Copernicus Lodge, next to the Roncesvalles carbarns. However, the buses idling would be noisier than the streetcars.

Seniors probably wouldn't be able to hear the noise anyways so it makes no difference.

I believe the greater concern would be the hundreds of idling buses parked and the exhaust being put into the air.

With the Hybrid buses, I believe it has improved quite a bit...still that's quite a bit of exhaust. I remember driving by the Malvern garage on a winter day in 2003 at around 4:30 in the morning. The area was just the smell of diesel exhaust...

With the Hybrid buses, I believe it has improved quite a bit...still that's quite a bit of exhaust.
How? TTC has said there's virtually no fuel savings with the hybrid buses. How then can exhaust have improved quite a bit?

How? TTC has said there's virtually no fuel savings with the hybrid buses. How then can exhaust have improved quite a bit?

The TTC has not ordered new hybrid buses for a while now, until they improve. Most likely, when the hybrids are less efficient when used on suburban routes. They'll be more efficient in stop-n-go traffic, such as downtown bus routes. They shouldn't be used on express bus routes.

How did a seniors home get planning OK so close to a site zoned heavy industrial, would be my question.

The funny part is once the LRTs open the amount of buses the TTC will need will drop by roughly 300. It will get within 20 buses of 2,000 in 2020, only to drop down to 1,700 by 2022 again. (presuming crowding standards remain at their current level) This will be the last bus building the TTC builds for a very, very long time.

Back