News   Apr 23, 2024
 514     0 

TTC at Sheppard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindMe

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's a pretty long haul from North York (above York Mills) to downtown. Especially in winter when almost daily signal problems turn a 40 minute subway ride into 1.5 hours or more. Add in once or twice a week holds due to passenger assistance alarms and even "smoke at track level" crap and, well, it's darn nice to get a seat and ride it out. I board at Finch. During rush hour pretty much every seat is taken at the very start of the run. By the time it hits North York, there are one or two seats per car left. And at Sheppard, it's standing room only. And they keep building condos at Sheppard and on the Sheppard line (theoretically feeding condo dwellers to the Yonge line).

I guess when they eventually replace the ancient signals with a modern system and can theoretically squeeze more trains on the line that might help reduce crowding. But, I tell you, I'm nothing but glad I bought a condo at Finch.

Even 40 minutes is questionable.

It's not a 40 minute ride and certainly not 90 minutes as MindMe has claimed.

Google Maps says it's a 22 minute trip. In my experience I can get to North York to Downtown in as little as 15 to as much as 25 minutes. Even if there were significant delays on the line, you probably wouldn't have a 40 minute trip.

It's not a 40 minute ride and certainly not 90 minutes as MindMe has claimed.

Google Maps says it's a 22 minute trip. In my experience I can get to North York to Downtown in as little as 15 to as much as 25 minutes. Even if there were significant delays on the line, you probably wouldn't have a 40 minute trip.

I do Bloor to Sheppard-Yonge every work day and the trip at the fastest was 18 minutes. Now its at least 20 minutes.

Sometimes I do Sheppard-Yonge to Dundas and that trip is about 25 minutes, so Google Maps is right. The 40 minute complaint is valid if you go from Finch to Queen or King, where it will be about 35 minutes including the time spend waiting for the train to leave the terminal at Finch. During the morning rush hour the trains move a bit slower south of Bloor due to congestion.

If the OP has lived in a real big city, he should know that people normally don't expect a seat in subways at all even during non-rush hours.The Yonge line normally has plenty of seats during any non-rush hours and that says something about how "crowded" our subway really is.

Complaining about not having a seat in subways is like whining about a 2000sf house with a 100 sf kitchen not having enough space for a family of 4. Only happens in Canada or US.

If the OP has lived in a real big city, he should know that people normally don't expect a seat in subways at all even during non-rush hours.The Yonge line normally has plenty of seats during any non-rush hours and that says something about how "crowded" our subway really is.

Complaining about not having a seat in subways is like whining about a 2000sf house with a 100 sf kitchen not having enough space for a family of 4. Only happens in Canada or US.

Who needs a relief line? We can get another 10 years of capacity out of the current Yonge line by implementing pushers:

[video=youtube;pYefhPALCpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYefhPALCpU[/video]

Remember this video next time you are on a packed subway train. The experience will not seem quite as bad.

Who needs a relief line? We can get another 10 years of capacity out of the current Yonge line by implementing pushers
No you wouldn't. You'd decrease capacity, as the door sensors wouldn't allow the train to move with that much pressure.

Haven't people mentioned pushers enough lately? It's not funny any more.

Haven't people mentioned pushers enough lately? It's not funny any more.

It was never funny. Tokyo essentially has the entire population of Canada, and what they have achieved in terms of transit is nothing short of spectacular.

If one really visits Tokyo, their rapid transit works very efficiently and it is hardly that crowded any more, while in Toronto we fear renaming our 2 lines by the number will get people "confused".

Public transportation in Tokyo is truly something to experience. Amongst the numerous transportation options, the main ones like Tokyo Metro and Japan Rail run on a dime. Despite having a myriad of lines and transfer stations, the identification system is fairly easy to follow. It is quite remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back