News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 207     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 266     0 

The Guvernment Complex is Closing (Jan. 2015)

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
[h=1]The Guvernment, mainstay of Toronto's nightclub scene, to close[/h]
[h=3]Nightclub and ajoining concert venue, Koolhaus, set to close January 2015[/h]
The Guvernment, a long-running nightclub complex on Toronto's waterfront, is shutting its doors after 17 years in business.

There was no reason given for the closure.

Opened in 1996 — where another nightclub, RPM, once stood — the Guverment claims to be the longest running nightclub in the city.

“It makes me proud to see how far we’ve come,†said Charles Khabouth, the CEO of INK Entertainment, the company that owns the complex, in a statement. “The Guvernment is one of my proudest achievements and after such a long-lasting journey with such fond memories, we want to thank all those who made it possible and shared in our successes.â€

On January 31, 2015, the Guvernment and its partner concert venue Koolhaus will close with a special set of events — a "massive bang," said Khabouth.

The Guverment has been a destination for DJs and parties in the city, featuring Tiesto, Deadmau5, David Guetta and Armin Van Buuren. The Koolhaus hosted live music from the Rolling Stones, Prince, Bob Dylan and Lady Gaga and more.

Looks like development pressure is finally closing it down.

I haven't been there in ages, but I do recall some fun times back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Time flies.

Another music venue bites the dust. For more condo's right? I guess concert goers will have to travel outside of Toronto for future shows. The Sound Academy is just horrible. I will never pay to see a show there.

I saw a lot of good shows at the Guv/Koolhaus over the years. David Bowie, Prince, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins were some of my favorites.

Another music venue bites the dust. For more condo's right? I guess concert goers will have to travel outside of Toronto for future shows. The Sound Academy is just horrible. I will never pay to see a show there.

I saw a lot of good shows at the Guv/Koolhaus over the years. David Bowie, Prince, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins were some of my favorites.

Probably.

Honestly, it was only a matter of time. With all the development in the area it just wasn't a fit anymore, especially at that size. It would be great to see another big club open up somewhere though.

What happened to the soc hops in the school gym? Listening to the Temptations, Elvis Presley, Pat Boone, Cubby Checker, and the rest?

Oh... they moved on.

They still happen, they just don't call them 'soc hops' anymore :p

Apparently Sound Academy will be completely renovated. A new large entertainment venue is actually already in the works by INK, although it will take about 3 years before we see it! No word on where it would be or other details at the moment.

Last edited:
Even with this closure, it's not like Toronto is short on live music venues.

Spaces to 'cut some rug' are indeed becoming fewer and further between though, but some of this is more a global trend as mega-clubs tend to be on the out everywhere.

We are short on venues of that can hold 2000 - 2500 people. Sound Academy is probably the only venue left...That is not good.
Yes, we are short on these sizes. And Sound Academy is just awful. Danforth Music Hall is meh, with crappy security, but at least it's on the subway.

We are short on venues of that can hold 2000 - 2500 people. Sound Academy is probably the only venue left...That is not good.
Yes, I suppose you are right come to think of it. Too bad it doesn't look like the Masonic Temple could be reopened as the Concert Hall. It could easily fill some of that gap. I think the (Riverside) Opera House is a bit under-utilized too (although, I don't think it is quite as large). Wasn't there a recent rumour about House of Blues (finally) opening a Toronto venue too?

I guess that leaves incomplete mansions out. See link.

mansion-party1.bmp

Apparently Sound Academy will be completely renovated. A new large entertainment venue is actually already in the works by INK, although it will take about 3 years before we see it! No word on where it would be or other details at the moment.

With the waterfront regeneration moving along, I wonder how long it is before the Sound Academy has to go too...

It will quite likely be a long while before WaterfronTO comes knocking there. In fact, I think you'd more likely see a re-launched, enlarged entertainment complex on these grounds before. But anything is possible.

How much was it sold for?
Has there been an official announcement on the condo development taking its place?

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=197929

INK Entertainment will continue to host concerts at Tattoo Rock Parlour and Sound Academy; the latter will get a makeover.

“We’re going to make sure it’s the next hottest spot,†says Khabouth.

Changes will include improvements to sound, sight lines, lighting and balconies.

But not to worry. INK hasn’t given up on a new massive party space to replace Guvernment.

Says Khabouth: “We have a plan for something much, much larger – like double the size [of Guvernment]. We’re committed to sticking by the scene, and we’re committed to continuing what we do best, and that is live shows and electronic dance music.â€

The club will be downtown, but that’s the only location detail Khabouth will divulge, because “we’re just going through all the legal stuff. The space is absolutely massive. It will take at least three years [before we open].â€

I wonder where the new location will be? Any ideas? Nice to hear Sound Academy will get a proper reno.

Back