1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

New Ways of Forum Discourse

pw20

Member Bio
Reaction score
FEel free to delete or move
It strikes me that a Forum is a very web 1.0 concept - obviously our community has grown significantly... I was wondering if there is any thought to different ways to interact with the forum without commenting

For example - it would be cool to "like" a post, or +1'ing a post, without logging in and commenting.

I'm sure there are other ways to make the forum more dynamic - I am using the above example, because there are times I have nothing to contribute, but I totally agree with someone's comment would be great to show that sort of love.

FEel free to delete or move
It strikes me that a Forum is a very web 1.0 concept - obviously our community has grown significantly... I was wondering if there is any thought to different ways to interact with the forum without commenting

For example - it would be cool to "like" a post, or +1'ing a post, without logging in and commenting.

I'm sure there are other ways to make the forum more dynamic - I am using the above example, because there are times I have nothing to contribute, but I totally agree with someone's comment would be great to show that sort of love.

I think these are good ideas - I've long wanted to see "likes" for individual posts.

Thumbs-ups are good. Downvoting posts would be destructive because people use it in a trolling manner and simply downvote opinions they disagree with.

I think these are good ideas - I've long wanted to see "likes" for individual posts.

What is the point of "likes" If i get 10000 "likes" do i get some kind of prize? I'm on other forums with "likes" I swear some people hardly post, they just sit around all day "liking" posts.

I hate "+1" systems in forums. It just results in people making posts to fish for more +1's. The forum itself becomes like some sort of game or competition. It doesn't promote discussion, it inhibits discussion.

I'd love a +1 or a "thumbs up." There's many times I'd like to recognize a good post.

I see why "thumbs down" is more problematic though, but hard to say unless it were tested here first.

I'd suggest both should require signing-in though.

Back