News   Mar 28, 2024
 83     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 551     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 356     0 

Weirdest house ever?

The overall look and feel of the house is certainly quirky...but I would assume that the current owners are somewhat eccentric themselves. Not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure.

My favourite aspect of Toronto architecture is the combination of old and new. As long as the pool or its moisture won't do damage to the original structure, this is quite cool to see a modern indoor pool fit into a traditional Toronto Victorian house. I like how the bold paint choices play up the original character of the house. Quirky and individual, sure, but sometimes it's interesting to see people try something different. Considering the questionable prices people are paying for teardowns and bland bungalows, this doesn't seem priced out of market. Especially since there appears to be a fully converted coach house studio (not pictured in the first link) in the back.

My favourite aspect of Toronto architecture is the combination of old and new. As long as the pool or its moisture won't do damage to the original structure, this is quite cool to see a modern indoor pool fit into a traditional Toronto Victorian house. I like how the bold paint choices play up the original character of the house. Quirky and individual, sure, but sometimes it's interesting to see people try something different. Considering the questionable prices people are paying for teardowns and bland bungalows, this doesn't seem priced out of market. Especially since there appears to be a fully converted coach house studio (not pictured in the first link) in the back.
I'm thinking the pool is a big negative for most people looking at Victorian homes, esp. if my suspicion that it wasn't done up to code, or at least without a permit. It would be difficult to deal with humidity issues etc. with such a setup I'm guessing. Most of the indoor pools you'll see are with either separate buildings, or in-house pools with stone or tiled walls.

That one looks like they converted a living room with an extended solarium portion or something to add the pool, but with drywalled ceiling and walls like a bathroom. Not ideal.

If it were me, I'd immediately subtract $50000 from the price, just to deal with the cost of renovation remove the pool and fix everything ($35000), and for the headache factor. Maybe that's why they listed it at $1.2 million instead of higher.

Just saw another picture where the solarium windows at the back look like repurposed chewed-up woodframe things. Which, yeah, makes me wonder about the trust a buyer could put into this construction. The stove underneath the stairs is amusing, and I can't figure out what the black thing on the column above the pool is. Not what I'd purchase if I had the money or was looking for a house (haven't went swimming for years), but I still think it's cool to see that it can be done. Didn't Frank Gehry wrap one of his first houses in chicken wire?

"With some imagination (and renovation), this could be an ideal home for a growing family."

Well, yes, it could be a Victorian house without a pool in the kitchen.

everything about this property has red flags going off.

according to the listing:
the 4,000 Sq Ft includes the coach house and Indoor Concrete Pool/Solarium (which is about 400 sq ft right there)

also "Buyer Acknowledges That The Property And All Fixtures/Chattels Included Herein Are Being Purchased In An 'As Is, Where Is' Condition, Without Warranty. The Seller Does Not Warrant Retrofit Status Of Property. "

Sold for $205000 over asking, at $1.405 million.

http://www.torontomls.net/PublicWeb/CL_CF.asp?link_no=52940643.059400&t=l&fm=M

The place is actually quite large, with a listed square footage of 4000 square feet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that substantially bigger than most homes in the neighbourhood?

I don't think it is weird, but they just thought out of the box when they have done the house renovation. These kind of renovation may not be likable for everyone, but they don’t look too bad. I don’t know if the moisture hurts the building, but if it doesn't, the modern swimming pool construction inside an old house has come out good. The house itself looks great with traditional style windows and interiors. I like it.

I admire the original finishes in this home and obviously someone else did as well if it sold for $200,000 plus over asking. In this market, there seems to be a buyer for even the most eccentric of properties.

Back