News   Mar 28, 2024
 160     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 598     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

buses, buses, buses

She is going to rename all of the TTC vehicles Iron Sheiks....then consult with Mr Iron Sheik himself on which groups he would spread hatred about and, therefore, ban those people from the vehicles named in his honour (he is, afterall, a "hero").....that way there would be no more congestion on the TTC.

I'm just hoping that she has the guts to tell Toronto that if they want more transit, taxes will have to go up.

I'm not expecting that

If anything, any new infrastructure in this "plan" will be paid for by begging upper levels of govt for money.

I hope that I'll be eating my words in a few hours.

Today in the afternoon.

Stintz came out before her with her plan. Like the provincial liberals is relies heavily on a "no new tax" mantra while shuffling existing revenues and not explaining how the thinks those revenues currently fund now get funded.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/04/29/karen_stintz_unveils_transit_funding_plan.html

thestar.com said:
Stintz would dedicate $330 million of revenue from current traffic enforcement operations and $700 million of revenue from the Toronto Parking Authority to pay for new transit infrastructure.

Her plan also involves imposing a $3 levy on motorists using certain Green P garages in Toronto’s core to raise $114 million annually.

Stintz also reiterated her proposal to sell a majority stake in city-owned Toronto Hydro, generating an estimated $500 million. This scheme would require the province to agree to drop a 33 per cent tax on the transaction.

The Stintz transit funding plan would raise more than $1.6 billion in dedicated transit funding over 15 years and establish a “Toronto Transportation Trust,” Stintz said in a press release issued Tuesday morning.

So Chow's plan is...

10% more buses during rush hour (sounds good)
Not wasting $1B for the Scarborough subway, LRT instead (I agree with that)

...and that's it, nothing new here. Talking about how the Fed's and Province need to kick in more cash for funding is wishful thinking unfortunately (unless Wynne can get a majority provincially). Then again, there's only so much Toronto can do, I guess she's being as honest as one can be.

So Chow's plan is...

10% more buses during rush hour (sounds good)
Not wasting $1B for the Scarborough subway, LRT instead (I agree with that)

...and that's it, nothing new here. Talking about how the Fed's and Province need to kick in more cash for funding is wishful thinking unfortunately (unless Wynne can get a majority provincially). Then again, there's only so much Toronto can do, I guess she's being as honest as one can be.

Chow seems like a disaster for Transit to me.

She thinks she can fix the TTC's problems with existing service, simply by restoring the $15 million a year Karen Stintz cuts to peak service?

What about the Karen Stintz cut to mid-day service?

And even with that ... so we really think TTC worked in 2010?

Big fail from Chow.

Next?

Chow seems like a disaster for Transit to me.

She thinks she can fix the TTC's problems with existing service, simply by restoring the $15 million a year Karen Stintz cuts to peak service?

What about the Karen Stintz cut to mid-day service?

And even with that ... so we really think TTC worked in 2010?

Big fail from Chow.

Next?

You're confusing the short term with the long term plans. Short term means increasing the service to pre-Ford days and better. Long term means more rapid transit lines, both heavy rail and light rail. Medium term means build them now.

You're confusing the short term with the long term plans. Short term means increasing the service to pre-Ford days and better. Long term means more rapid transit lines, both heavy rail and light rail. Medium term means build them now.
I don't see that in that long, rambling, pointless (as in I see no bullets) speech.

And how is only $15 million to fix peak service going to increase the service to pre-Ford days? It only fixes peak? Stintz also cut off-peak loading standards, making off-peak service less frequent. How is only $15 million going to buy the vehicles we need to increase peak service? The 60 extra streetcars TTC wants to do this are $300 million alone. And what about buses? The garages are full, Stintz delayed the new bus garage and buses that was essential by years, as part of cutting peak service.

Back