News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Publicly Accessible tall buildings for photography?

verticalvillage

Member Bio
Reaction score
The title says it all. I am interested in photography and tall buildings, and always on the lookout for new vantage points to view this great city.
Does anyone know of any tall buildings that are publicly accessible? (beyond the lobby of course).

A good example is U of T's Leslie L Dan Pharmacy Building, but while a marvellous piece of architecture, its only 12 floors, so it doesn't really have height going for it.
Are there any buildings with publicly accessible sky lobbies or lounge area?
I've seen many videos of people sneaking into tall office buildings and riding the elevator to the top floor which is also an interesting experience, but I am more interested in the vantage point from the building, so any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Well, there are many places that have limited access during Doors Open, which runs on May 24th and 25th. You can visit the City Hall Observation Deck as well as the Canada Life Building observation deck (both closed the other 363 days a year).

Not sure, but if you have some cash to burn, go eat at Canoe which is very, very high up in the TD Centre. We published an article this week listing all of the good skyline view spots in the city, you should check it out.

I found another one: Renaissance Plaza across from the ROM on Avenue and Bloor. It's only 9 floors, but its lobby has a great view of downtown.

The Park Hyatt Rooftop Lounge (its a publicly accessible bar) at Bloor and Avenue is a great spot to look to downtown. They have an outdoor patio as well which is a great place to be at night with the city and ROM lit up all around. I'm sure if you asked nicely they'd let you head up for some snaps.:)

Edit: Turns out UT included this one in the article, oops!

Last edited:
Another place with quite a view is the Casa Loma/Spadina Museum(House) grounds and the nearby Baldwin Steps at Davenport and Spadina. Standing on a well placed bench or wall gets most of the foliage out of your view :)

Panorama is on the 51st floor of the Manulife centre. It has a patio, and it's a lot more reasonably priced than Canoe.

For a great view of the skyline from the east, go to the new Bridgepoint Healthcare building. There is a beautiful rooftop garden on the 10th Floor (named in honour of Hallard Ballard!). No security to speak of.

Back