News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 748     0 

MLSE/Drake up coming project

droyces

Member Bio
Reaction score
During todays game 1 of the Brooklyn Raptor series Drake (with 8 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter) said "perfect start to the massive skyscraper building that we're about to put up in Toronto. You know what it is". Anyone with details or did I miss understand his meaning? I'm not a rap guy so I may I took it the wrong way because I took it literally. The other commentators didn't follow up with what he said.

Yeah the massive Drake/Raptors presents OVO Condo with a new venue for OVO Fest at the base in Forest Hill (no relation to Drake Hotel). When the elevator goes up it says "started from the bottom now we're here" at each floor ;)

I've heard rumours about a conversion of the Raptors practice court to a club, but that would suggest a new practice court somewhere else. I don't think they'd want to go too far afield, but then the Leafs put their practice rinks on the other side of the city. Not many places to put a new court nearby tho, unless they were going to do something really ambitious like taking a stake in 50 Bay.

Interesting for sure...

Definitely a potential scoop....:cool:

Across Bay Street from the Air Canada Centre maybe? That would be handy. It's about time that we got that new bus terminal. Can't think of a better place for "massive".

I saw that comment live and I am 85% sure that he was using skyscraping structure as a metaphor for the growth and building of the Raptors franchise. It caught my attention too, but I think it was merely Drake trying to be poetic.

Knowing how entrepreneurial rappers are nowadays it would not shock me. MLSE already dipped their toe in the condo market with Maple Leaf Square.

It would be pretty cool if they put up a tall skyscraper close to the ACC with the Leafs, Raptors, TF and Marlies logo at the top on each side

Knowing how entrepreneurial rappers are nowadays it would not shock me. MLSE already dipped their toe in the condo market with Maple Leaf Square.

MLSE was owned by a Pension Fund with real estate holdings at that time

MLSE was owned by a Pension Fund with real estate holdings at that time

I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it IMO? A lot of arena projects (and others like TIFF) have always been tied to real estate development. Certainly the Real Sport Franchise has taken on a life of its own - I believe MLSE is now franchising the concept. I was under the impression that a lot of other sports teams were coming to check out what MLSE has done so that they could replicate its success. Although who knows... but real estate is always a good way to monetize your business.

Unless of course - as a great canadian rapper - Maestro you would have some insider input ;)

"416 to the 905 put your hands up in the air!"

I saw that comment live and I am 85% sure that he was using skyscraping structure as a metaphor for the growth and building of the Raptors franchise. It caught my attention too, but I think it was merely Drake trying to be poetic.

I came to the same conclusion. Most likely hes using it as a metaphor for a "towering achievement" of some sorts. Started from the bottom, now we're here at the top sorta thing. The foundations have been laid for the rebuilding of a towering franchise to paraphrase

Haha I was thinking the same thing earlier today! I'm wondering if all the metaphors over on the M+G thread could also be deleted? Lol

I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it IMO? A lot of arena projects (and others like TIFF) have always been tied to real estate development. Certainly the Real Sport Franchise has taken on a life of its own - I believe MLSE is now franchising the concept. I was under the impression that a lot of other sports teams were coming to check out what MLSE has done so that they could replicate its success. Although who knows... but real estate is always a good way to monetize your business.

Unless of course - as a great canadian rapper - Maestro you would have some insider input ;)

"416 to the 905 put your hands up in the air!"

Flemingdon - Don Mills and Eglinton - could use a skyscraper.

Back