News   Apr 15, 2024
 871     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 639     0 

Why is commuter/regional rail so bad in Canada?

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
As much as we complain about the GO Train

Montreal still just has hourly trains, and some lines have 1 train every 2 hours.
Vancouver has just rush hour service to Abbotsford.

Is it because of private rail ownership? What do we have to do to improve it?

Last edited:
A lot of it is in the language as well. Commuter rail is peak direction peak time. Regional rail is bi-directional all the time. I think that when a lot of people say they want better commuter rail service, what they actually want is regional rail.

This language also seeps into an organization's modus operandi. For example, the higher-ups at Metrolinx mainly see themselves as a commuter rail operator with a secondary regional rail network as opposed to a regional transit operator.

Basically because in Ontario, for instance, the only commuter rail that exists is centred around Toronto. You can't even leave Toronto as a commuter in the morning taking regional rail. It's a very centralized network that doesn't mesh well with the reality of the urban form, IMO.

I think commuter rail is only really viable in Toronto and Montreal. Every other city is either too small, or has a pretty insignificant rail network that doesn't actually pass through places that could be trip generators. Here is a map of all the railways that existed in Ottawa, our 4th largest metro. Most of what you see in that picture is now gone (in grey) and has long since been assigned to other uses.

Datesmod.jpg

The thing is that Canadian cities were really quite small at a time when other cities grew out using commuter rail, most notably cities like New York, Chicago and Philadelphia. Most regional pre-war transit was handled by interurbans, which either connected with inner city streetcar services at loops at the ends of lines, or ran directly into the city along city streets. They also would have had ROWs that were considerably smaller, with tighter turns and steeper inclines than anything that a mainline train could handle today. They would not have been easily converted to commuter rail.

I think commuter rail is only really viable in Toronto and Montreal. Every other city is either too small, or has a pretty insignificant rail network that doesn't actually pass through places that could be trip generators. Here is a map of all the railways that existed in Ottawa, our 4th largest metro. Most of what you see in that picture is now gone (in grey) and has long since been assigned to other uses.

You surely mean regional rail? Vancouver has a successful commuter rail operation, though it's strictly for downtown commuters and is only one line.

Ottawa is certainly not suited for commuter rail, not only due to its size, but the corridors are not all that useful, especially for getting commuters to downtown thanks to the Greber Plan track removals. The Confederation Line LRT is the best answer.

Calgary seems like one city that could have commuter rail one day and make it work (concentrated employment, growing economy, downtown rail station location); High River-Okotoks-Calgary may one day be feasible; as could Airdrie-Calgary and possibly Canmore-Cochrane-Calgary. But these would be, at best, limited operations.

You surely mean regional rail? Vancouver has a successful commuter rail operation, though it's strictly for downtown commuters and is only one line.

Yes, I meant regional rail. Although, apart from the existing WCE, there is no other line that I would convert to commuter rail in Vancouver, either. The Skytrain is more time competitive than any existing rail line could be without significant upgrades. Topographically, Vancouver is terrible for commuter rail.

Calgary seems like one city that could have commuter rail one day and make it work (concentrated employment, growing economy, downtown rail station location); High River-Okotoks-Calgary may one day be feasible; as could Airdrie-Calgary and possibly Canmore-Cochrane-Calgary. But these would be, at best, limited operations.

Yeah, Calgary is the only other city where commuter rail could even be considered. Airdrie currently has an express bus, with one of the most bizarre schedules I have ever seen, even for an exurban small town transit provider. I guess commuter rail is a long way off.

And is frequently criticized for very low ridership and few trains (still 4 or 5 trips weekday only trips last time I looked).

West Coast Express makes the GO Stouffville line (similar length/station count) look good.

Last edited:
There are lots of reasons.

For starters, outside of Toronto/Montreal, the existing LRT/RT systems usually do a good job of covering most of the built up area. The C-Train's termini are all pretty much right out against the city's edge. Most North American LRTs are actually pretty commuter-rail-ish (wide station spacing, radial, often reuse rail and highway corridors ect..) Vancouver's Skytrain will go out to Coquitlam. It's not like Toronto where you have this massive built-up area over the 905 and even large chunks of the 416 which don't have rapid transit. It's probably cheaper for these cities to just keep building LRT/Skytrain out to the 'burbs than to try to set up an entire commuter rail system from scratch.

Even Toronto's a bit of a weird case since the lake channels development away from the core. Something like New York, where geographic contours kinda force development into these elongated "fingers" which you can only really serve with commuter rail. If our CBD was at, I dunno, Yonge & Steeles, and the city sprawled relatively symmetrically around it, the effective distances between the city's periphery and core would be lower, reducing the need for commuter rail.

Other issues:

North American cities have high capacity street grids which connect the core to the 'burbs. This isn't the case in Europe, where cities usually don't have many high capacity roads (let alone highways) going into the core. This allows quicker LRTs/Buses into the core, whereas in Europe you'd maybe be more dependent on commuter rail.

Jurisdictional issues come into play. European cities typically have regional and local transit operated by the same agency or extremely high levels of cooperation whereas in North America commuter rail operators tend to be owned by the state, province or some kind of collection of suburban counties. This typically leads to silo-ed operations. Sometimes this is even intentional as suburban constituencies don't want poor people from the city using their transit.

Many North American cities have very decentralized travel patterns. Commuter/regional rail is, almost by definition, a hub-and-spoke system to the core. If overall regional travel demand into the core isn't very strong, commuter rail will be limited. Since what demand is there is usually 90% employment, demand outside of peak hours is usually non-existent leading to one-way, peak hour only service.

The Metra Electric wasn't bad from what I remember...

Metra Electric appears good (for me as a visitor, though I really disliked the open top floor) but locals obviously have a different opinion because ridership has been falling 15 years while nearly every other Metra route in Chicago has consistently grown ridership since the mid 80's.

Probably just a dud location.

Page 3 has a 30 year ridership breakdown of various routes.
https://metrarail.com/content/dam/m...ip_reports/2013 13 Annual Report- website.pdf

Last edited:
Metra Electric appears good (for me as a visitor, though I really disliked the open top floor) but locals obviously have a different opinion because ridership has been falling 15 years while nearly every other Metra route in Chicago has consistently grown ridership since the mid 80's.

https://metrarail.com/content/dam/m...ip_reports/2013 13 Annual Report- website.pdf

Yea, the open top-floor was bizarre.. Aren't all Metra Bilevels like that?

Weird that ridership is declining...

I'd also add Chicago's commuter rail is stupidly spread out over three terminals which don't even have good integration with the L network.

Weird that ridership is declining...

I'd also add Chicago's commuter rail is stupidly spread out over three terminals which don't even have good integration with the L network.

Gallery cars. They allow conductors to go through the whole train, collecting (and selling*) tickets one one level. Montreal's AMT had some of these in their rolling stock a decade ago.

Metra Electric serves Chicago South Side and some troubled southern suburbs, like Harvey, home of the infamous proto-deadmall, Dixie Square.

*Many of the old commuter railways in the US, like Metra, MBTA, Metro-North, LIRR, and New Jersey Transit, have ticket collectors/conductors on board that collect tickets and sell them as well, usually at a higher fare than if purchased at a staffed station. This is opposed to the POP system used by GO, AMT, and Translink.

Last edited:

Back