Toronto 3070 Ellesmere | 89m | 26s | Podium | Arcadis

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A condo is being planned for 3070 Ellesmere Road at Momelle Court. That's just west of Morningside Avenue, and a short walk from UTSC. The condo is being specifically targeted to investors who would then want to rent space out to UTSC students. Students needing living quarters near the U of T's growing Scarborough location typically have far to go, so this building is meant to fill some of that need. Centennial College has a campus here too. Their building can be seen in the right distance behind the Petro Canada below.

GoogleStrView3070Ellesmere.jpg

It's called The Academy. 26 storeys. 339 units. No application to the City yet. Don't know the architect yet.

AcademyHeroSunset640.jpg

Attachments

• GoogleStrView3070Ellesmere.jpg
    GoogleStrView3070Ellesmere.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4,251
  • AcademyHeroSunset640.jpg
    AcademyHeroSunset640.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 3,818
*Mornell Court.. a gang-infested block of government housing complexes. The lot has been vacant for about 10 years used to be an empty office building that was torn down a few years ago, the developers probably scored on the land.. It's a shame because the valley is beautiful and there many amenities close by. The South-facing views on the higher floors would be amazing, especially in Autumn.

I wonder how this building is going to be managed, as this is essentially a glorified student dorm building. Will there be any special condo rules given the specific demographics of the building or more security or some kind of resident dorm masters? It will be interesting to see who will serve (or want to serve) on the Condo Board which will probably face very different issues than other condos.
I'm sure there will be significantly more wear and tear to the building given the turnover and the amount of young renters who are probably new to living away from home.
What will happen in the summer season when school is out? I'm sure the place will be in complete chaos just before the school year starts.

It's great that this type of building is answering the need of student housing while developing on a rather derelict block, but somewhat disguised as a typical condo building. It would be really unfortunate for those who are not students living in this building, unless they really want to relive their college years -- seen Old School?

I wonder how this building is going to be managed, as this is essentially a glorified student dorm building. Will there be any special condo rules given the specific demographics of the building or more security or some kind of resident dorm masters? It will be interesting to see who will serve (or want to serve) on the Condo Board which will probably face very different issues than other condos.
I'm sure there will be significantly more wear and tear to the building given the turnover and the amount of young renters who are probably new to living away from home.
What will happen in the summer season when school is out? I'm sure the place will be in complete chaos just before the school year starts.

It's great that this type of building is answering the need of student housing while developing on a rather derelict block, but somewhat disguised as a typical condo building. It would be really unfortunate for those who are not students living in this building, unless they really want to relive their college years -- seen Old School?

Haven't most condo boards given way to property management companies? Just about every tower at Yonge & Finch is a glorified student dorm. Same could be said for several Bay Street towers. The little bit I've seen, I wouldn't want to live in one.

You definitely have to know how each building functions in that regard to know which one is for you—or at least which ones are not for you. The condos which act as student dorms are important. If the universities aren't building the student housing, the students have to find somewhere to live. Developers of The Academy were very clear that this building was aimed at investors who were looking to rent to students. Other buildings are being targeted the same way, but the developers have not always been this up-front about it.

Devron Developments is no longer involved with this project, so the dataBase file has been updated to reflect that LeMine Investment Group is the sole developer now.

20170226_165215 - Copy.jpg

As of today ground still standing firm and no heavy equipment in sight. At least it sounds like it will be breaking soon

Attachments

• 20170226_165215 - Copy.jpg
    20170226_165215 - Copy.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,184
Last edited:

Back