News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Impending Street Tree Issues Dundas West (Bathurst to Ossington):

Dandy Horse

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the last renovation of Dundas completed just about two years ago, the street trees were put in in a very unusual patter. Instead of being right beside the road, many of the significantly mature trees on the North side of Dundas between Bathurst and Ossington are planted right in the middle of the sidewalk.

As for right now, the tree pits are covered with removable panels with much smaller holes in them. today, City workers removed portions of the small plastic grates and red mesh that surround the trunks, allowing for a few more inches of growth.

Minus the temporary tree pit coverings, the sidewalks are little more than 2.5 feet wide in many parts! this is so insane for a Street like Dundas in this area, which has seen incredible amounts of townhouse infill, and is getting a large condo full of people to add to the already hectic and narrow sidewalks.

Unlike regular street pits from the '90's, I'm pretty sure the soil under these trees is not compacted, and there may even be silva cells below. These trees are healthy and most likely many of them will grow to at least a semblance of maturity.

Which begs the question: what will become of our already too narrow sidewalk when the trees become too wide for their 10'' square holes in the temporary coverings?

I'm adding these trees to the mental list I have of fun to watch long term disasters that might result in a massive boon for pedestrian infrastructure, along the lines of the overpopulation of Liberty Village and all that that entails.

I would love to see the sidewalks expanded on one side, and a bidirectional cycle lane on the other side, with all parking to be dealt with on side-streets by making parking on both sides of residential streets made legal. Dundas functions as a two lane road at all times of the day, regardless of rush hour parking restrictions. No amount of ticket-giving will alter this. I say, lets make the most of the right of way, and widen the sidewalks. I feel rather in-luck, for the slow growth of these trees to (legally) respectable sizes will make this conclusion imperative.

Back