News   Mar 28, 2024
 541     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 351     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Brampton

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The mayoral race in Brampton is heating up. Not only is councillor John Sanderson running against long-time incumbent Susan Fennell, Liberal Cabinet Minister Linda Jeffrey, a former Brampton councillor, is running.

Susan Fennell's time is up, thankfully.

Toronto Star: Linda Jeffrey quits Ontario cabinet to run for Brampton mayor

By: Richard J. Brennan Provincial Politics, San Grewal Urban Affairs Reporter, Published on Sun Mar 23 2014

‎With a possible provincial election looming, Premier Kathleen Wynne is losing another member of her cabinet.
Municipal Affairs Minister Linda Jeffrey is stepping down, and government sources told the Star she’ll be running for mayor of Brampton, where she’ll be going up against incumbent Susan Fennell and regional councillor John Sanderson.

“Linda Jeffrey will announce her resignation from cabinet and her resignation as MPP for Brampton-Springdale at caucus on Tuesday,†said a spokesperson for Jeffrey Sunday evening.
Jeffrey’s interest in the mayor’s job has been rumoured ‎for weeks now, but an official announcement has yet to be made.
Jeffrey is a former Brampton councillor who has not been shy sharing her disappointment in Fennell.

I am not actually convinced that Jeffrey entering the race advances the cause of the ABS (Anybody But Susan) cause. Up till the rumoured Jeffrey candidacy (she has not confirmed it although newstalk1010 is reporting it happens tomorrow) anyone anti-Fennell had only Sanderson to vote for. For some that was a difficult choice.

So, as I tweeted this morning, the question is:

Does Jeffrey split the "anti-Fennell" vote? Or does she own the "total change" vote?

A clean sweep is necessary at Brampton City Hall....you have got Councillors such as Callahan who have been around in one form or another since 1969...Palleschi and Hutton since 1985, Fennell, Moore and Miles since 1988, Gibson and Sporveri coming up to twenty years....Old Wood, a new vision for the City, that is a town, that Council thinks is a village....

I am not actually convinced that Jeffrey entering the race advances the cause of the ABS (Anybody But Susan) cause. Up till the rumoured Jeffrey candidacy (she has not confirmed it although newstalk1010 is reporting it happens tomorrow) anyone anti-Fennell had only Sanderson to vote for. For some that was a difficult choice.

So, as I tweeted this morning, the question is:

Does Jeffrey split the "anti-Fennell" vote? Or does she own the "total change" vote?
Total change. But the it falls on the back of the citizens of Brampton if they want that.

A clean sweep is necessary at Brampton City Hall....you have got Councillors such as Callahan who have been around in one form or another since 1969...Palleschi and Hutton since 1985, Fennell, Moore and Miles since 1988, Gibson and Sporveri coming up to twenty years....Old Wood, a new vision for the City, that is a town, that Council thinks is a village....
Do you think Brampton is falling behind Vaughan and Markham? Be honest.

Yes as a matter of fact...Vaughan with Bevilacqua and Markham with their forward thinking council are outpacing the "perfect model of a bedroom community"

What can Brampton do to change? Will all day go and the LRT help or this a deeper problem. I'm asking you too TOareafan.

I notice Brampton is much cheaper then Mississauga or Markham or even Aurora. People can afford a house there unlike where my parents live in Oakville.

What can Brampton do to change? Will all day go and the LRT help or this a deeper problem. I'm asking you too TOareafan.

I notice Brampton is much cheaper then Mississauga or Markham or even Aurora. People can afford a house there unlike where my parents live in Oakville.

To me it is a deeper problem, one that goes all the back to the amalgamation of Brampton and Bramalea (Chinguacousy), two different visions, Bramalea modern, Brampton staid and those visions have never really been melded into one...
The quickest way to get everyone one page is to redefine City Council from a Ward basis representation to an "at large" representation thus forcing Councillors to be beholden to all rather than a select geographical component....
The original Brampton was and still is very cliquish there is the old Bramptonites, the johnnie come lately's of Peel Village, the ne'er do wells east of Heart Lake Road (the old boundry) and then you all new guys in the East, North and West subdivisions reducing Old Brampton's influence at least that the way the Originals look at it...
A major problem is where is the City Centre....Is it 10&7 (City Hall)? Is it Quuen & Dixie (Peel Region/ Bramalea City Centre/Civic Centre)? Is it 10 & Steeles (Court Houses/Police/Shoppers)? Ask 10 Bramptonites you'll get 10 different answers....The fact of the matter is it is a city without a proverbial soul, a "onemanship" and as I mentioned previously a way to start is "at large representatives...

To me it is a deeper problem, one that goes all the back to the amalgamation of Brampton and Bramalea (Chinguacousy), two different visions, Bramalea modern, Brampton staid and those visions have never really been melded into one...
The quickest way to get everyone one page is to redefine City Council from a Ward basis representation to an "at large" representation thus forcing Councillors to be beholden to all rather than a select geographical component....
The original Brampton was and still is very cliquish there is the old Bramptonites, the johnnie come lately's of Peel Village, the ne'er do wells east of Heart Lake Road (the old boundry) and then you all new guys in the East, North and West subdivisions reducing Old Brampton's influence at least that the way the Originals look at it...
A major problem is where is the City Centre....Is it 10&7 (City Hall)? Is it Quuen & Dixie (Peel Region/ Bramalea City Centre/Civic Centre)? Is it 10 & Steeles (Court Houses/Police/Shoppers)? Ask 10 Bramptonites you'll get 10 different answers....The fact of the matter is it is a city without a proverbial soul, a "onemanship" and as I mentioned previously a way to start is "at large representatives...

Sounds like a subdivided mess. Not shocked to hear the old school is involved, they always are in these things. I think Old Brampton does not liek new Brampton and this is were that comes from. Also Brampton has been in the shadow in Mississauga for years, more intently so since 1990 when all the growth began. Mississauga developed a proper town center and Brampton just built more sprawl.

Also Brampton has been in the shadow in Mississauga for years, more intently so since 1990 when all the growth began. Mississauga developed a proper town center and Brampton just built more sprawl.

Or rather, Brampton--that is, Old Brampton--*already had* a "proper town centre". It just wasn't the kind of centre that befitted a suburban satellite community. Whereas Toronto Township *ahem* Mississauga had no such thing, and therefore was obligated to create something ex novo...

Or rather, Brampton--that is, Old Brampton--*already had* a "proper town centre". It just wasn't the kind of centre that befitted a suburban satellite community. Whereas Toronto Township *ahem* Mississauga had no such thing, and therefore was obligated to create something ex novo...

Hence the civil war. Explains it all.

Had Brampton focused development efforts around their old town centre, it would be a pretty neat city to live in. Brampton has much better 'bones' than most suburban municipalities.

Technically they are still in time to realise a progressive vision for their city, in fact. Most of Brampton's residential areas are easily within cycling distance (~15min) from 'downtown Brampton'. A bit of creativity to increase densities, measures to help out and create spaces for small businesses, and improvements in connectivity, shading, and traffic calming could turn Brampton into one of the nicest suburban enclaves in Southern Ontario.

Unfortunately, a glimpse at their political class shows no signs of such aspirations.

Had Brampton focused development efforts around their old town centre, it would be a pretty neat city to live in. Brampton has much better 'bones' than most suburban municipalities.

Very true and worth repeating. Brampton was also not nearly as desirable as Mississauga, which boomed partly due to its closer proximity to Toronto, plus the airport and the lake. Brampton is rarely a first choice for people to move to. How could you get a dense downtown when you can only attract people with cheaper tract housing than in Mississauga or York Region? There have been attempts to intensify Downtown Brampton with at best mixed results. But the downtown is better than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

Well, the airport and accompanying industrial zone is definitely a psychological barrier--whereas the only real separation residential Mississauga has from Toronto is Etobicoke Creek.

And, pre-regionalization, the fact that Bramalea sprouted so rapidly as, well, a "parallel centre" to Brampton didn't help by confusing everything...

Back