News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Mississauga

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like the race to replace Hazel McCallion has two front runners: Bonnie Crombie and Steve Mahoney.

Interestingly, both are Liberals. Mahoney has been in politics in 1978 (same year McCallion became mayor) when he ran as a councillor. He was also an MP and MPP.

Steve Mahoney top choice for Mississauga mayor, poll finds

By:San Grewal, Urban Affairs Reporter, Published on Fri Mar 21 2014 - Toronto Star

A poll of Mississauga residents has found that former councillor, MPP and MP Steve Mahoney would defeat Councillor Bonnie Crombie in a head-to-head race for mayor

Former Mississauga councillor, MPP and MP Steve Mahoney would defeat Councillor Bonnie Crombie, poll shows.

The Forum Research poll has Mahoney at 29 per cent support and Crombie at 22 per cent with remaining voters undecided.

The poll was conducted Tuesday, a day after Mahoney registered to make a run for Mayor Hazel McCallion’s job. The 93-year-old mayor, who has held the office since 1978, has said this will be her final term.

There's been talk of Navdeep Bains running in Brampton. It looks unlikely but not impossible; he's a Mississauga resident though most of his family resides in Brampton. He's very talented.

For better or worse, t looks like more white vs. white in both cities.

Last edited:
He probably has a good chance of winning back his old federal seat, with a new Liberal leader and many polls showing interest in the federal Liberals.
Very true. I think that he's tired of Ottawa though.
There's been talk of Navdeep Bains running in Brampton. It looks unlikely but not impossible; he's a Mississauga resident though most of his family resides in Brampton. He's very talented.

For better or worse, t looks like more white vs. white in both cities.
He should run in Missy. The third most important city in the province. Brampton is forth but still.

Very true. I think that he's tired of Ottawa though.

He should run in Missy. The third most important city in the province. Brampton is forth but still.

In terms of importance I would rank Mississauga behind London and Hamilton in importance. Of course, if I was running for mayor I wouldn't say that, but I'm not so I would.

As for actual mayoral candidates, both Bonnie Crombie and Steve Mahoney are Hazel's lapdogs. It's a chance for change, will Mississauga vote for change, or more of the same? Personally, I hope for change.

In terms of importance I would rank Mississauga behind London and Hamilton in importance. Of course, if I was running for mayor I wouldn't say that, but I'm not so I would.

As for actual mayoral candidates, both Bonnie Crombie and Steve Mahoney are Hazel's lapdogs. It's a chance for change, will Mississauga vote for change, or more of the same? Personally, I hope for change.

doady you support carolyn parrish lol?

But seriously, I think both Hamilton and London have both had their days in the sun, Hamilton for obvious reasons and London IMO has missed the train. Where is their LRT project? They should have one, they are bigger then Kitchener.

But seriously, I think both Hamilton and London have both had their days in the sun, Hamilton for obvious reasons and London IMO has missed the train. Where is their LRT project? They should have one, they are bigger then Kitchener.

That's silly, immature logic. It takes more than size and LRT to signify "importance". And whether you like it or not, Mississauga and Brampton are still technically Toronto suburbs (and hence subservient to Toronto to some degree). Whereas Hamilton, London, Ottawa, Kitchener, Windsor, etc are longstanding "standalones" with their own census metropolitan areas.

Plano, TX had more people than Buffalo NY in the 2010 census. Doesn't make it more "important" in the bigger picture.

doady you support carolyn parrish lol?

lol. No.

That's silly, immature logic. It takes more than size and LRT to signify "importance". And whether you like it or not, Mississauga and Brampton are still technically Toronto suburbs (and hence subservient to Toronto to some degree). Whereas Hamilton, London, Ottawa, Kitchener, Windsor, etc are longstanding "standalones" with their own census metropolitan areas.

Plano, TX had more people than Buffalo NY in the 2010 census. Doesn't make it more "important" in the bigger picture.

Mississauga's LRT might say something about its importance though. Why does Mississauga's busiest transit route have no connection to Toronto? And how did this route with no connection to Toronto become so busy to the point that there are plans for LRT, with 2-car trains in operation on day one? Doesn't anyone think this is strange?

You can look at the overall system too. In 2012, the per capita ridership of Mississauga Transit surpassed that of Hamilton Street Railway. That suggests to me that Mississauga is fairly self-contained, or maybe that Hamilton has become less so.

So you really think London being left out of this transit expansion is for no reason at all? They have clearly not made the effort. Transit wise. Plus other factors like employment as well. Hamilton and London are hurting.

lol. No.

Mississauga's LRT might say something about its importance though. Why does Mississauga's busiest transit route have no connection to Toronto? And how did this route with no connection to Toronto become so busy to the point that there are plans for LRT, with 2-car trains in operation on day one? Doesn't anyone think this is strange?

You can look at the overall system too. In 2012, the per capita ridership of Mississauga Transit surpassed that of Hamilton Street Railway. That suggests to me that Mississauga is fairly self-contained, or maybe that Hamilton has become less so.
It's both. Hamilton I heard loses people during the day to workers commuting to Burlington.

lol. No.

Uh, municipally and bigger-picture speaking, there's more to "importance" than transit.

Eve Adams, the MP that unseated Bains in 2011 will be running in an Oakville/Burlington riding when the new boundaries are in place for 2015. I would imagine if he does not throw his name in the hat for either mayoral race in Peel he surely will make a run with the rejuvenated Trudeau led Liberals.

Last edited:
Eve Adams, the MP that unseated Bains in 2011 will be running in an Oakville/Burlington riding when the new boundaries are in place for 2015. I would imagine if he does not throw his name in the hat for either mayoral race in Peel he surely will make a run with the rejuvenated Trudeau led Liberals.

Really? Why, fear of not getting elected in Missy for Eve?

She was on CP24 last week talking about it. Apparently she and her family have moved to Oakville and she's a believer in running where you live (paraphrasing here but that's basically what she said). She's lived in Mississauga for the last 14 years according to Wikipedia.

Given the recent grumblings about party leaders dictating where MPs run and given the demographics of the new riding boundaries, I'm sure we'll see most parties trot out South Asian candidates there and Eve will be right at home running in her riding. So I guess it's a win-win in the eyes of the Conservatives?

Uh, municipally and bigger-picture speaking, there's more to "importance" than transit.

Uh, did I say there is not? Where did I say Mississauga is more important than Hamilton because of transit? Please tell me.

Last edited:

Back