News   Apr 23, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 565     0 

Metro Cinema 677 Bloor West ( conversion to gym & retail )

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Makes sense that its becoming a gym. A lot of people are used to working out muscles at that location. :cool:

I went in there about four or five years ago, I only saw about a half dozen other people in there other than myself so I'm surprised they held on so long. Last time I was in there was early or mid 80's before they chopped the art deco auditorium up and turned them into three horrific small cinemas. To me it's always sad when we lose another cinema, but that's progress I suppose. The massive Odeon Danforth (Danforth at Pape) which later became the Rex Danforth (Greek films) in the late 70's also became a gym sometime in the late 90's.

I went in there about four or five years ago, I only saw about a half dozen other people in there other than myself so I'm surprised they held on so long. Last time I was in there was early or mid 80's before they chopped the art deco auditorium up and turned them into three horrific small cinemas. To me it's always sad when we lose another cinema, but that's progress I suppose. The massive Odeon Danforth (Danforth at Pape) which later became the Rex Danforth (Greek films) in the late 70's also became a gym sometime in the late 90's.
It was also briefly a live music venue in the mid-1990s called The Palladium. I saw Suede, Frente, Swervedriver and the Smashing Pumpkins there!

It was also briefly a live music venue in the mid-1990s called The Palladium. I saw Suede, Frente, Swervedriver and the Smashing Pumpkins there!

All on one ticket? That's a hell of a show!

I'd forgot all about the Palladium! I saw one of the "Grunge that Stole Xmas" shows there during the brief post-Sloan power-pop surge in the early 90s.

I totally missed out on that being in the neighbourhood. I would probably have gone to see the Swervies there too ...

Any details on the gym and retail yet?

Years later, the Basecamp Climbing facility is still here, and the retail unit is occupied by a Chatime bubbletea shop.

20210902_145828.jpg
20210902_145851.jpg

Back