2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 770     0 

Time to Hang Up on Voice Mail?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting piece here http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/09/time-to-hang-up-on-voice-mail/

Have others here given up on voicemail at work? I've often considered changing my voicemail greeting to advising that "this mailbox is not checked, and that messages should be sent by e-mail to......"

However I can't think of how to accomplish that without coming across as rude or unwelcoming.

Interesting piece here http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/09/time-to-hang-up-on-voice-mail/

Have others here given up on voicemail at work? I've often considered changing my voicemail greeting to advising that "this mailbox is not checked, and that messages should be sent by e-mail to......"

However I can't think of how to accomplish that without coming across as rude or unwelcoming.

On your own cell phone or land line, voice mail has a limit on how many messages (and length of the calls) can be recorded without erasing some or all. The default is up to 25 of up to 5 minutes each. You can have a problem if you're the mayor and can't answer your phone calls during a meeting.

I think faxes are even more remote than voice mails. 10 years ago, we'd still be checking the fax machine but these days, it's almost non-existent. Any document that one wants to forward tends to be scanned and e-mailed. Depending on the type of business, for example, in sales, voice mail can still be effective but most of the time, I find people will simply call your cel phone instead of leaving a message if you don't pick up your office line. More and more I'm seeing people simply e-mail a quick "Give me a call as soon as you can. Thanks." type of e-mail if they can't reach you via your office phone.

Kind of along the same lines, but as we all know, the landline phone is also going the way of the dinosaur. I do believe it's due to the reducing number of people who actually make phone calls (or leave voice messages). Most people I know these days don't even bother leaving voice messages but rather just send an e-mail or text using their mobile phone.

fp0625_cutting_the_landline_c_ab.jpeg

From this article in the Financial Post: http://business.financialpost.com/2...-up-on-their-landline-phones/?__lsa=1a7f-5de2

My work's communication system transcribes (poorly) all voicemail I get. At least I get an email so I know who called, at what time, and at least an idea of what the call was about - looking for key words in the transcribed gibberish. It's great.

Not sure why one would abandon voicemail, or not check it. All my voicemail immediately shows up as WAV file in my e-mail. I can very quickly listen to it on my mobile (or the old fashioned way from my handset on my desk). The vitally important don't ignore calls always seem to come that way.

I've given up on VM at work also.

If something is urgent, email me. Can't say giving up on VM has lead to any issues either, so it can't be that important.

I have never used voice mail: neither recieved or left any message. I actually don't even know how to use it. I also don't believe that a person I am calling will actually here my message. What if it is important? I better make another call in 10 minutes.

It is always a game of who is faster: me or an automated voice saying that the voice recording will start in a moment.
You know how it is... you call someone and don't want to leave them 1 second empty recording. You take your touch screen phone away from your ear, wait one second untill its sensor will catch the light, wait for the screen to turn on, locate red call cancelling button and finally tap it... and than the person you've been calling gets this voice message: "oh, come on stupid phone, turn on, come on! I shouldn't have switched from my Nokia 3310 old-brick, dammit!"

i have voice mail on my line, im paying for it, but most if not almost everyone hangs up before the greeting and just sends me an SMS to let me know whythey called. weird maybe i should can my voice mail

Back