News   Mar 28, 2024
 149     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Make King and Queen one way streets?

and completely nonsensical as it would require the shutdown of the streetcar lines.

would it? What if the streetcars were also one way.....one track used for a local service making all stops and the other used for an express/limited stop service. EB use Queen and WB use King?

still doesn't really work as streetcar ridership would plummet.. No way in hell people from Liberty Village would be willing to walk up to Queen street to catch a streetcar. Just doesn't make sense.

If you want to one way some more streets, look at Bay & Yonge street.

still doesn't really work as streetcar ridership would plummet.. No way in hell people from Liberty Village would be willing to walk up to Queen street to catch a streetcar. Just doesn't make sense.

If you want to one way some more streets, look at Bay & Yonge street.

The additional 400 m from King to Queen (on one direction of their trip) would kill streetcar ridership?

would it? What if the streetcars were also one way.....one track used for a local service making all stops and the other used for an express/limited stop service. EB use Queen and WB use King?

How would that work when King/Queen merge at Don Valley?

Pretty darned stupid idea it is too! These two streets are not that close together and we already have two one-way downtown streets (Adelaide and Richmond) that run east to west. (It is also interesting to see how dead both these one-way streets are compared to King and Queen.)

If one wants greater capacity/speed on streets just ban all parking and stopping. It's crazy to allow parking on very busy downtown streets and removing parking would certainly speed up both transit and cars.

Pretty darned stupid idea it is too! These two streets are not that close together and we already have two one-way downtown streets (Adelaide and Richmond) that run east to west. (It is also interesting to see how dead both these one-way streets are compared to King and Queen.)

Yeah, it's sad, the conversion of Adelaide and RIchmond into one-way really killed the vibrancy that once defined those streets.

If one wants greater capacity/speed on streets just ban all parking and stopping. It's crazy to allow parking on very busy downtown streets and removing parking would certainly speed up both transit and cars.

Yes. Now that should be the "big idea", ban street parking, it makes both cars & transit go much faster.

Yeah, it's sad, the conversion of Adelaide and RIchmond into one-way really killed the vibrancy that once defined those streets.

You should see what one-way did to some streets in Montreal....St. Catherine street is a ghost town...oh, nevermind lost my head for a minute.

The additional 400 m from King to Queen (on one direction of their trip) would kill streetcar ridership?

absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if you see combined ridership on the routes drop 40-50%. People would no longer get on the streetcar to ride down a few blocks, as you would have to walk a combined 800 meters to do so. Also, when you are already walking 500 meters to get to the streetcar (see my example of Liberty Village), if you have to walk another 400 you simply won't make that trip. It becomes faster to drive or take some other way, if you even make that trip at all. It would take an already spotty transit connection to the lower west side of the city and make any transit connection to the area useless.

absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if you see combined ridership on the routes drop 40-50%. People would no longer get on the streetcar to ride down a few blocks, as you would have to walk a combined 800 meters to do so.

Not saying your wrong about the impact but it would not be a combined 800 metres. One leg of the journey would still be on King.

Also, when you are already walking 500 meters to get to the streetcar (see my example of Liberty Village), if you have to walk another 400 you simply won't make that trip. It becomes faster to drive or take some other way, if you even make that trip at all. It would take an already spotty transit connection to the lower west side of the city and make any transit connection to the area useless.

That part I can see....maybe what they take is the Lakeshore GO train to Union.......perhaps any thought of one way streets on King/Queen would come with TTC fares with the 416 on GO trains?

no, it would be combined 800 meters. 400 meter walk down, 400 meter walk up again once you get to your stop.

Its more spots than just Liberty Village. What about the distillery, neighbourhoods to the north of Queen? the area around Jameson? St. Lawrence Market?

no, it would be combined 800 meters. 400 meter walk down, 400 meter walk up again once you get to your stop.

I see what your saying....if you assume that someone getting on a King Car near Liberty Village is destined to location on King Street. (of course if someone is going to a job on Queen street this may save them time ;) ).

Random, possibly stupid idea: What if we ran buses on Richmond & Adelaide to try to relieve the streetcars through the core and provide some additional east-west capacity? Maybe it could run Bathurst to Parliament.

Back