2.3K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 746     0 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ontario's flag has been in existence only since its adoption on May 21, 1965. It combines the Canadian Red Ensign with the Union Jack in the upper-left corner, and the Armorial Bearings of Ontario to the right.

800px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.jpg

The Shield contains the Cross of St. George on a white background, representing Ontario's relationship to the Crown. The three gold maple leafs are also official symbols of Canada and are set on a green background.

It was adopted as Ontario's flag when the red ensign was replaced by the maple leaf flag in 1965.

800px-Canadian_Red_Ensign_1957-1965.svg.png

800px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.jpg

Think its time to get a real Ontario flag.

Attachments

• 800px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.jpg
    800px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 5,317
  • 800px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.jpg
    800px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,692
I tend to prefer white license plates as they muck-up the look of cars much less. A bolder font/hue may be an idea for ON though.

Despite being a UK citizen too, I'm all for Canada removing the Union Flag (and the monarchy for the record) from wherever it may appear. It's a process though and I haven't actually seen a new Ontario flag to comment on. In theory, not a bad idea though.

I quite like this potential NZ design. There's a few other good ones too.

wiggles.jpg

Attachments

• wiggles.jpg
    wiggles.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 3,431
I thought the old government of Ontario logo would make for an excellent flag (white background, green logo outline) - throughly modern and a great counterpoint for the Canadian flag.

The plates should really be changed, though. They're so generic. The little crown graphic ought to be replaced, too. It's barely legible, but the main issue is that it's too colonial.

Everyone: Interesting topic about a new flag for Ontario - I would not mind seeing the use of the trillium logo on a new flag - try white on green...

I always liked the current Red Ensign based flag designed back in the 60s but I would not mind seeing what design proposals that could be considered...

That new New Zealand flag as posted by JP is a interesting proposal - I like this one but I also like the current NZ (and for that matter Australia's) flag...

J: I agree with you - a new design Ontario license plate would be a welcome change...All plates issued from 1973 to date are permanent and use the
blue and white colors and crown logo/graphic of the Ontario Conservative Party...I never cared for the current letter/number format either and I would
like to see either a 1234-ABC or ABC-1234 format used...I thought of using the slogan "The Heart of Canada" on either a new plate issue or a pay-extra
graphic plate...I never minded "Keep It Beautiful" or "Yours To Discover" but a new plate slogan would just add interest to this future change...

LI MIKE

I like the trillium logo, white on a green background as suggested. While I don't cringe at the colonial aspects of the existing flag, I think a new flag for the great province of Ontario is due.

I hope people realize that this is the official "trillium logo" for the province. Which is absolutely horrid. I doubt we'd ever see them bring back the old one for a flag, when they've only recently started using this version.

Trillium.jpg

Attachments

• Trillium.jpg
    Trillium.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 6,155
I know it's not going to be popular here, and most will quote what I write and disagree, but I like the flag we have. It reminds us of the heritage of Ontario, where its European-origin settlers were Empire Loyalists fleeing the US revolution. It also reminds us the crown through the Lieutenant Governor's office. Does the flag speak to newcomers? Probably not, no more than the Union flag speak to many UK citizens today. Is that a reason to change it? I'm not convinced. If we're so eager to remove and forget any connection to our British roots, should we rename British Columbia, Victoria, Vancouver, Halifax, etc, etc....

I hope people realize that this is the official "trillium logo" for the province. Which is absolutely horrid. I doubt we'd ever see them bring back the old one for a flag, when they've only recently started using this version.

View attachment 24015

I have heard it called "three men in a triangular hot-tub".

The Liberals had to replace the old logo, since it was derived by the Big Blue (PC) Machine.

LargeTrillium.gif

Attachments

• LargeTrillium.gif
    LargeTrillium.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 4,485
I agree change the flag to the Trillium posted by BurlOak. Green works.

It will never happen in our lifetime. They've spent $200,000 on the new logo, they aren't about to backtrack to the old logo for the flag. The best we could hope for is in 40 to 60 years the "retro" logo to make a comeback.

I know it's not going to be popular here, and most will quote what I write and disagree, but I like the flag we have. It reminds us of the heritage of Ontario, where its European-origin settlers were Empire Loyalists fleeing the US revolution. It also reminds us the crown through the Lieutenant Governor's office. Does the flag speak to newcomers? Probably not, no more than the Union flag speak to many UK citizens today. Is that a reason to change it? I'm not convinced. If we're so eager to remove and forget any connection to our British roots, should we rename British Columbia, Victoria, Vancouver, Halifax, etc, etc....
The Union Flag represents the differing parts of the UK via its crosses (although, realistically excludes Wales -although, technically Wales is represented via St. George's cross). I think it still speaks to current Britain (so long as Northern Ireland and Scotland remain part of the Kingdom). It doesn't speak to modern Ontario though.

I think there's a way to remove colonial heritage without disconnecting ourselves from our shared British heritage either. For instance, some countries in the Commonwealth don't have QEII as their Head of State. Moreover, renaming cities/provinces is a non-starter and rarely a good idea that anyone would support. It's sort of like people changing their names based on where they live and is increasingly rare. Flags, anthems, etc. are relatively easy to change and can make a huge difference in how a jurisdiction views itself moving forward. The Canada flag debate (and the immediate non-debate and acceptance following it) is as good an example as any of how it can be done and how the naysayers will quickly forget, accept, then embrace it.

Last edited:

Back