News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 290     0 

NY Times: Toronto’s Ethnic Buffet

ehlow

Member Bio
Reaction score
As far as foreign articles about Toronto go, this one isn't too bad. I can usually find upwards of five mistakes if not more. This one refreshingly had only two that I could find...
  • Calling "India Bazaar" or "Little India" simply Bazaar. Nobody here says that.
  • It's also not a 10-minute streetcar ride from the core. At least 20, usually more.

The article is pretty good as they go. The author probably succeeded because she went to Toronto's inner city neighbourhoods without focusing on the downtown core.

When I put myself in a visitor's shoes, Toronto is really three cities:

(1) The highrise downtown core, which, while vibrant, is not really all that special, lacking the architectural grandeur of simliarly-sized American cities, the architectural, cultural and shopping grandeur of similarly-sized European cities and the hustle and shopping of similarly-sized Asian cities.
(2) The lowrise bay and gable and walkable commercial strips outside the downtown core, containing the vast majority of Toronto's good restaurants and cultural offerings.
(3) The postwar suburbs

Very often, most tourists only see (1), which is very unfortunate. The writer seems to have focused on (2), which is what makes Toronto great. People who do (2) are often advised by Torontonians to go to (3) for more ethnic "authenticity". This might be going too far. Sure, there are some really great ethnic restaurants in Markham and Brampton, but you need to know where to go, and you need a rental car, plenty of time and you have to overlook some of the most drab suburban landscapes on your foodie adventuring. A visitor from the US would be like "I left Houston to see this?"

The article is pretty good as they go. The author probably succeeded because she went to Toronto's inner city neighbourhoods without focusing on the downtown core.

When I put myself in a visitor's shoes, Toronto is really three cities:

(1) The highrise downtown core, which, while vibrant, is not really all that special, lacking the architectural grandeur of simliarly-sized American cities, the architectural, cultural and shopping grandeur of similarly-sized European cities and the hustle and shopping of similarly-sized Asian cities.
(2) The lowrise bay and gable and walkable commercial strips outside the downtown core, containing the vast majority of Toronto's good restaurants and cultural offerings.
(3) The postwar suburbs

Very often, most tourists only see (1), which is very unfortunate. The writer seems to have focused on (2), which is what makes Toronto great. People who do (2) are often advised by Torontonians to go to (3) for more ethnic "authenticity". This might be going too far. Sure, there are some really great ethnic restaurants in Markham and Brampton, but you need to know where to go, and you need a rental car, plenty of time and you have to overlook some of the most drab suburban landscapes on your foodie adventuring. A visitor from the US would be like "I left Houston to see this?"

I agree. (2) I'm interpreting to include areas like Kensington Market, Little Italy, the Distillery District, Queen West, the Danforth. These areas should really be the first priority for tourists. (3) has the best of certain types of restaurants (eg. Chinese) but aren't very tourist friendly or easy to get to.

(1) could actually be cool for people from say a smaller town in Ontario.

Well, most tourist books about Toronto mention places like Kensington Market, Queen West, Chinatown and the Distillery Districts as top places to visit.
Sure, of course. However, they are all still quite central and technically downtown, unlike places like Little Italy, Gerrard India Bazaar, The Annex, Greektown, Junction, etc.

Back