1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Quiznos close to Bankruptcy

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
[h=1]Bankruptcy close for Quiznos after Subway smackdown[/h] Feb 28 2014, 07:50 ET

• Quiznos is moving closer to filing for bankruptcy, according to the WSJ.
  • Many Quiznos franchisees are reported monthly losses and are looking for an exit.
  • A Chapter 11 filing would give the restaurant chain the ability to rework some of its more restrictive leases and contracts.
  • The Quiznos quandary: The rise of Subway has severely thwarted the growth track of Quiznos, while emerging chains such as Potbelly (PBPB) and Jimmy John's have also set it back. Analysts see even a post-bankruptcy turnaround as difficult with the brand set back.

not surprising..Quizno's is just too expensive.. Subway's price did go up in recent years-- but still their subs a larger- and cheaper.. simple as that!..
wonder what will happen with all the Quizno's... there are quite a lot of them.. sad...

Quizno's subs are a bit smaller, but I find they have much better taste (esp. the bread) and selection of subs. And their pricing is not that different than Subway. I do go to Subway more often than Quizno's, however I much prefer the taste of Quizno's over Subway. Subway's breads are pretty bland - including their new Garlic Bread, which has absolutely no flavour. What helps Subway is the fact it's like Starbucks, located on every corner - so it's much more convenient from that standpoint.

Never heard of Potbelly or Jimmy John's (look to be US franchises).

I really enjoy Quiznos most of the time, but I find my experiences there are not consistent.
Their broccoli & cheese soup is absolutely amazing though.

Same here with Subway next. Quiznos was always more expansive than the other with smaller sub even though they were good.

Spent more time at Mr Sub

The Quizno's near me is never that busy, and over at Subway they are lined up to the door at lunch hour. I quit going to Quizno's when they got rid of the torpedo subs. Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on 9 inch sub when you can go to Subway and get a footlong for only $5 bucks. Quiznos should have kept the cheaper subs but I guess it's too late now!!

Everyone: As a fan of the Hero (Their name in the NYC area) Hoagie (Centers on Philadelphia and much of PA) Grinder (New England)
or Submarine Sandwich I like to try different types may they be from large or small chains or mom and pop style operations...

In case anyone does not know Subway has become in time the world's largest franchise operation with even more outlets then the previous
winner - McDonald's...

It has turned out to be interesting how Quizno's has fared competing with Subway and some other smaller regional chains...In Canada that
looks to be Mr. Sub is the prime direct competitor along with Subway for Quizno's...

Over time my favorite variation has been what is sold in and around Philadelphia...It is where I ate my first hoagie and I feel that some places
make really good ones...

I searched and found some links to relevant sandwich chains and locations:

Quizno's: www.quiznos.com
Subway: www.subway.com
Blimpie: www.blimpie.com A NY-NJ area based chain that was originally founded in Hoboken,NJ back in April 1964...
Mr. Submarine-Chicago www.mrsubchicago.com Remembered from my Chicago visits...

Two local Philadelphia Hoagie chain outlets:
Lee's Hoagie House: www.leeshoagiehouse.com
Slack's Hoagie Shack: www.slackshoagies.com

And...The place that introduced me to the Hoagie back in the early 80s: www.richsdeli.com
(Fort Washington,PA - Philadelphia northern suburbs)

I got hungry just doing this research...LI MIKE

Last edited:

Back