Toronto Phoenix | 92.96m | 29s | Empire | Graziani + Corazza

maxt797

Member Bio
Reaction score
South/west corner of Manitoba St. and Legion Rd. N.

New proposal notice asking for 48 story high tower.

... Are they nuts?

Condition for approval - pay for the entire Legion Rd extension. This development will throw traffic numbers into the stratosphere for Mystic Point.

I drove by this morning and saw the board (it was not there yesterday). I just slowed down but didnt get a chance to take a photo, stopping on Manitoba St = suicide, the street is so narrow, crazy people parking on both sides and suddenly opening their doors, and even crazier people exiting the condo driveways at full speed without looking. Sorry.

April 12th, 2014. The site in question.

251-Manitoba-Street-1.jpg

Apparently this has been cancelled, and the land sold to another developer......does anyone know who the buyer is?

It has not been cancelled, but it has been sold to a new developer named Etabbey Holdings. Etabbey has retained the architectsAlliance plan and appealed the city's lack of decision within the prescribed time to the Ontario Municipal board. The hearing is set for April 2016 with a pre-hearing today, and another in November. The City will oppose at the application, but will seek in the meantime to come to an agreement with the developer.

The City and the developer have been negotiating with the OMB overseeing it.

The proposal has dropped from 48 storeys and 548 units to a 29 storey tower and an 11 storey mid-rise rising from a 4-storey podium, all with 499 units. No images released yet.

April 12, 2016 Pre-hearing coming up, with a July 2016 hearing.

PS - It looks like the proposed Section 37 agreement does not include the Legion Street connection under the rail corridor.

The City and the developer have been negotiating with the OMB overseeing it.

The proposal has dropped from 48 storeys and 548 units to a 29 storey tower and an 11 storey mid-rise rising from a 4-storey podium, all with 499 units. No images released yet.

April 12, 2016 Pre-hearing coming up, with a July 2016 hearing.

PS - It looks like the proposed Section 37 agreement does not include the Legion Street connection under the rail corridor.
Another fantastic win by our esteemed councillor. I really don't know who votes for him even though I'm quite active in the community. I guess it's the folks west of Humber Bay.

Not that it matters... The EA here has long expired.

So what are you looking for here Filip?

Why do we do EAs if there is no plan/will/budget to build the damn thing. Legion Rd EA was completed in 2008/2009 I believe. Requests for capital funding have been ongoing since then. At the same time, traffic on Park Lawn gets exponentially worse. You'd think someone well paid in the city would do the arithmetic, but clearly not.

Then you have a building proposed next to the tunnel and you don't get Section 37 funds from it? Who is running the show down here?

I have an expectation that if you are to allow so many buildings to go up in an area without the required infrastructure, then you better be building it alongside the buildings. I'm sorry if my ask is unreasonable.. Didn't know we lived in Bombay. Grimey has a duty to get the best deal for his ward... However, that man couldn't get the best deal if it sat on his head. Completely incompetent.

Sorry, I thought you meant re: the form of the building as opposed to re: the Legion Rd underpass EA. Yup, I'm not sure why they have not been driving towards that with a goal in mind.

The thing is that for Section 37 you cannot charge significantly more for one building than was paid by other buildings in an area. This one will get Legion Road built right up to the tracks, to end in a cul-de-sac, but that's it. As far as I'm concerned, every building going up in the area west of the Mimico Creek should have been putting money into the underpass kitty for years now, and yes, this one should have helped push it through. Now they're going to need to get cash from developments on the other side of the Mimico for it, the excuse being that opening Legion under the tracks will take some traffic off Park Lawn, which it will.

Back