628     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Arts Endowments

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I appreciate that there are any number of ideas of greater import; but this one for some reason stuck in my head recently.

A number of years back, the then Mike Harris gov't which, I might add did little that I agreed with, offered for a short period a 'matching grant' gifts/philanthropy to Universities in Ontario.

This move, as I recall, allowed many institutions to either attract net new funding, and/or get donations that might ordinarily have come later, or over several years, at once.

Donors loved that they could donate $100,000 but effectively create a $200,000 endowment or scholarship or the like.

I've been thinking that this might well be a good idea worth repeating, but not just w/universities, but with major arts institutions.

Supposing that a major gallery/museum etc. could with an additional 200M in endowments offer free access to youth 17 and under for free, in perpetuity.

If a matching offer from the gov't existed, might we attract 100M worth of philanthropy for the cause?

Just a thought.

I appreciate that there are any number of ideas of greater import; but this one for some reason stuck in my head recently.

A number of years back, the then Mike Harris gov't which, I might add did little that I agreed with, offered for a short period a 'matching grant' gifts/philanthropy to Universities in Ontario.

This move, as I recall, allowed many institutions to either attract net new funding, and/or get donations that might ordinarily have come later, or over several years, at once.

Donors loved that they could donate $100,000 but effectively create a $200,000 endowment or scholarship or the like.

I've been thinking that this might well be a good idea worth repeating, but not just w/universities, but with major arts institutions.

Supposing that a major gallery/museum etc. could with an additional 200M in endowments offer free access to youth 17 and under for free, in perpetuity.

If a matching offer from the gov't existed, might we attract 100M worth of philanthropy for the cause?

Just a thought.
How interesting. I never thought Mike Harris would be a patron of the arts, especially given his penchant for cutting social services, transportation projects, and reducing the size of government through municipal amalgamations.

How interesting. I never thought Mike Harris would be a patron of the arts, especially given his penchant for cutting social services, transportation projects, and reducing the size of government through municipal amalgamations.

You misunderstood.

Harris didn't extend this to Arts institutions, so far as I recall, this was done for universities.

It was my suggestion that the government of today might wish to repeat the exercise, but include arts institutions, in addition to Universities/Colleges.

I might add, I wouldn't be in favour of this on an open-ended basis but rather a time-limited one, say 2 years or so. Enough time for professional fundraisers to do their jobs; but not so much as to create complacency. You want to create a certain urgency that an immediate donation can have more traction or impact due to the temporary 'matching' grants.

Thank you for clarifying.

I am strongly in favour of having funding for the arts.

Did you know that approximately 90% of all musicians in Ontario are below the poverty line? For every Justin Bieber (or similar), there are approximately nine hungry musicians. It would also entice Hollywood to make more films here as well. TIFF is one of the largest film festivals in the world.

Thank you for clarifying.

I am strongly in favour of having funding for the arts.

Did you know that approximately 90% of all musicians in Ontario are below the poverty line? For every Justin Bieber (or similar), there are approximately nine hungry musicians. It would also entice Hollywood to make more films here as well. TIFF is one of the largest film festivals in the world.

maybe they should write songs that actually sell on itunes or people want to listen to.

Yeah, artists should focus less on art and instead focus on making commercial products for mass comsumption. Great idea.

This is Toronto.

We try to avoid funding anything, and especially things we apparently don't collectively care much about....like the arts.

Hell...we do our best to discourage non-tax funded arts projects ala M&G.

This is often done at all kinds of institutions, arts and otherwise. Matching gifts are a great way to fundraise. The hard part is getting that initial gift to do the matching!

To add: this could be supported at multiple levels, from funding via Canada Council, Ontario Arts Foundation, Toronto Arts Council, etc.

Back