News   Mar 28, 2024
 79     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 168     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

To the centre of Mississauga 10/21/05

All these new buildings....and not a sole person to be seen on the street. Sad.

Nice pics. I agree there weren't too many people in streets, however I have noticed a lot more in the daytime compared to say 5 years ago. Just because of the new attractions and condos I guess. Still a long way to go. But things are moving upward. Compared to North York, we are really lacking in pedestrian traffic. I wonder if scarborough is the same.

The thought of that piece of farmland and greenspace dissapearing is rather dissapointing. One hope it doesnt die for worthless causes.

Usually I make an effort to take pics with people in it, but it was cold so I didn't feel like it. judging th elevel of pedestrian activity in MCC from 4 dark pics is not a good idea. There are at least 6 people in those pics but they are hard to see because it is dark (or blurred out because of long shuttter speed).

The thought of that piece of farmland and greenspace dissapearing is rather dissapointing. One hope it doesnt die for worthless causes.

I agree... that 4th pic is probably the best of the bunch. Nice tour... soooooo sterile though...

Perhaps instead of focusing on creating an urban/suburban network of "central parks" in the heart of Mississauga, some focus could be turned to preserving the farming heritage of the city, by creating a Riverdale Farm-like park/petting zoo.

If I remember correctly OMERS or another pension/investment company owned the land, and the reason they kept giving for not selling it was to drive up the land value. Guess it makes sense considering basically everything else around it is already developed.

wyliepoon,

There is already a 200 acre farm located just north of the City Centre off Hurontario Street. It's owned by the Peel District School Board and use to have a working farm but was closed down a few years back because of budget cuts. The site also includes Mississauga's first one room school house which gives tours to students today. There is talk of developing part of the site with an office building which would generate revenue to support reopening the farm to students.

As for that farm in the pictures, while it would be nice to save it, it has to go to make way for the extension of Confederation Parkway which will form a new north-south gateway into the City Centre and will run down the middle of the new mega Daniels - Amacon development beside City Hall.

Louroz
Louroz

nice to know that the suburban helllscape continues its growth unabated...

Until last month I lived in one of the buildings in your 9th picture. This is a wonderful neighborhood to live in, and is by no means a "hellscape". I moved to downtown Toronto strictly because I was sick of the commute. From my experience, 95% of the people who criticize Mississauga have never lived there, and 99% of them haven't lived their recently. They visit Mississauga MAYBE once or twice a month and feel somehow qualified to pass judgement on the place. For this reason, I don't take their comments too seriously. Anyone looking for a suburban/urban mix can't go wrong living in MCC.

If I remember correctly OMERS or another pension/investment company owned the land, and the reason they kept giving for not selling it was to drive up the land value. Guess it makes sense considering basically everything else around it is already developed.
Landbanking!

A few interesting facts regarding that farm in the pictures: It is located on the south side of Eglinton Avenue, extending south almost to Hwy. 403. Originally it was 79 acres. Until quite recently it was actually a working farm, probably the last real working farm in Mississauga. The farmer could have sold it years earlier. In 2004 he sold 46.23 acres to the developer, at a rate of $632,683 per acre. (Do the math... $29million!). Most of what he sold was toward the south end of the farm, which can be seen outlined in red on the sign in one of the photos, as well as a strip extending out to Eglinton which is now becoming the northward extension of Confederation Parkway. I believe he still owns the rest, about 33 acres. I expect at least part of it will sell at an even higher rate, as it faces Eglinton Avenue at a future major intersection and might have commercial development potential.

This is where the farmland is going. :\ An interesting case study in land economics.

Ontarian1976, WELL SAID! Sorry to have lost you as a resident in the City Centre. Hope to have you back one day, maybe when I'm Mayor! :)

Walt, from what I recall from talking to the local councillor the original owner divided up the land into quarters and left it to his sons, 3 of the sons sold their portions while the last one elected to keep his portion and to continue to work the farm.

As for OMERS, I believe they sold a controlling stake to Oxford Development. From talking to the Square One Manager at the City Centre workshops, development of the stand alone retail between City Centre Drive and Hurontario Street and redvelopment of Square One Drive will take place soon.

Also, up on the Agenda for the next Planning Committee meeting is the approval of Phase 4 & 5 of the Daniels Project (East of the One Park Tower). Also One Park Tower is confirmed to have retail at its podium with a restaurunt facing the new City Park and Confederation Parkway.

Louroz

Back