News   Apr 25, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Abundant Access: Jarrett Walker & Jennifer Keesmaat Talk Transit (this Thursday)

I'd love to go. Of course it's scheduled on the most inconvenient day of the year for me...

Sorry to hear that. For once, it is the opposite for me. I have my work placement at the Canadian Urban Transit Association on Thursdays, so after work I know a few of us are going.

(Let me have this one. You know how much I miss out on being stuck in Richmond Hill lol?)

I really enjoyed it. He's a great speaker. It was well attended. It seemed like there were many people involved with planning or transit there. I'm not sure how many people were just interested members of the public like myself.

Disclaimer: this is my attempt to summarize & paraphrase the 2 hour talk. If anybody disagrees with my interpretation feel free to correct me.

The main theme was that the overall point of transit is "abundant access". That means maximizing the # of places people can get to using transit in a given amount of time. You can map what areas you can get to using transit & walking in 15, 30, or 45 minutes for example. However, it's not about accessing the greatest area geographically, it's about accessing the greatest amount of places to go, so residential, employment density & density of other destinations matter.

He said that it doesn't matter to people whether the vehicle has rails or tires, pantograph or third rail, what matters is the ability to get people to the places that matter to them. We too often get sidetracked by debates about technologies on specific lines rather than focusing on the overall network. He also made the point there is never one overall solution for every situation like "subways subways subways".

Equity: there are multiple types of equity. One interpretation of equity is that everyone should get the same level of service no matter where they live in the city. Another is that the level of service should increase linearly with density. The third one is that service should match demand, and the level of demand actually increases at a higher rate than linear when density increases. For example, if you double the density, the transit demand will more than double (I think he said it's parabolic).

Unlike San Francisco, Toronto has a grid network of concession roads which is perfect for a frequent grid network. By using a grid of long continuous frequent transit lines, you can create the freedom to go anywhere because if you choose any two points on the map, you can walk to the nearest road with transit, take that line, then make one transfer, then take the 2nd line and get off and walk to your destination. There would only be one transfer, which is less annoying since the routes are frequent.

With respect to creating a grid system: he criticized short transit lines which create unnecessary transfers specifically calling out the Sheppard line. He also criticized the fact that our bus lines create forced transfers when you cross a subway. For example, on the Finch or Eglinton bus lines, to continue across Yonge, you must transfer to another bus at the station.

His overall recommendation was more frequent bus lines along our street grid, eliminating the transfer at subway stations. Rather than thinking of buses as dumping people at the subway so they can go downtown, frame it as a network to go from anywhere to anywhere.

When Keesmat mentioned the longer streetcars at decreased frequency, he mentioned that a decrease in frequency from 3 to 4 minutes can be OK, but 10 minutes to 30 minutes is obviously much worse.

Weather was mentioned, he said that people are very resilient to bad weather, however, he also mentioned heated bus shelters, and that you obviously can't built subways on every street.

He said we too often debate thinking about whether to implement short transit lines rather than creating a network. He prefers long continuous lines so that there are no transfers to continue in the same direction.

Last edited:
He seemed to really dislike how torontos bus lines ended at Yonge..

I agree with him. I agreed with pretty much everything he said. From east of Yonge on Eglinton it's much less convenient than it should be to get to Eglinton west of Yonge by bus. You take the Eglinton East bus to Eglinton subway station, making the transfer to Eglinton West is relatively easy since it's at the bus bay, but buses tend to wait there as the drivers take a break, so you end up sitting on the bus for anywhere between 0-10 minutes waiting for the driver to get back & start the bus.

He also criticized the transfer at Don Mills on the Sheppard line from bus or LRT to subway. I personally interpreted that as criticism of creating the Sheppard subway in the first place rather than advocating for extending the subway across all of Sheppard. He advocated creating a whole long continuous line rather than short pieces, and I think he mentioned finishing Eglinton west to Pearson as something that would be valuable to the network.

He must have hated the original TransitCity which was completely disjointed and nothing but a series of transfers.

I read the Globe article and interesting how he mentioned how you should not build transit for the top 10% but for the masses. Makes perfect sense which is why the UP Express makes none.

He seemed to really dislike how torontos bus lines ended at Yonge..

Agreed, he also contradicted himself when he said a transit line can only be successful if you have the density to support it, yet the Bloor line doesn't have enough density to support a subway and it has very healthy ridership.

He never made a mention about funneling riders to express routes or using different levels of transit throughout the system to address different trip needs. He basically suggested that we should just put the same transit everywhere so that it's the "same level of access" to everywhere. Yet, it's simply just not the case that you should put the same type of transit to one corner of the city as you would another. It's inevitable that some routes are going to be more heavily used than others and as such forcing a grid on a city that moves in a very un-grid like manner seems kind of counter intuitive IMO.

I also have a fundamental problem when he said that a transit improvement in one area isn't just for those people but for the entire city, maybe it's just my numbers background, but I have a fundamental issue with this quote because it's just not true. Yes the entire city will be able to use it, but he implies that regardless of what or where we build, that the benefits are equally spread in a broad sense. It's a statement that completely throws out the notion of ridership and scientific analysis that is used and is needed with transportation planning. It's a blanket statement like that people use to justify anything "I got a new phone that will benefit everyone around me because they can communicate with me better, and everybody has the ability to communicate with me." even though in reality maybe only 5 people talk to me.

Agreed, though, that we need to shift our emphasis towards a "sum of all the parts" look at transit instead of just focusing on individual projects, which I think was his over-arching point, that an entire network with lower capacity can move more people better than a few expensive, high capacity lines. I.e. maybe a line from A-B doesn't have very good ridership on its own, but if that line from A-B connected with three or four other lines that can take you to C, D, and E it would end up being a valuable piece of the network. This draws in interesting point that automatically makes me think of the Sheppard East LRT and the Sheppard subway which was referenced in the speech.

Last edited:
ssiguy2, you're either trolling or illiterate:

Unlike San Francisco, Toronto has a grid network of concession roads which is perfect for a frequent grid network. By using a grid of long continuous frequent transit lines, you can create the freedom to go anywhere because if you choose any two points on the map, you can walk to the nearest road with transit, take that line, then make one transfer, then take the 2nd line and get off and walk to your destination. There would only be one transfer, which is less annoying since the routes are frequent.

Back