News   Mar 28, 2024
 980     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 552     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 844     0 

Which supermarket do you primarily do your groceries at?

Pick a supermarket, any supermarket...

• Food Basics

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fortinos

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Loblaws

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Metro

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No Frills

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Price Chopper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sobeys

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Superstore

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • T&T

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Highland Farms, Longo's, Pusateri's, Whole Foods, Valu-mart, etc.)

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters

James

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just a simple poll. I was curious as to which major supermarket UTers primarily do their groceries at. I'm purposely only including the big chains in the poll, otherwise we'll run out of poll options.

Just a simple poll. I was curious as to which major supermarket UTers primarily do their groceries at. I'm purposely only including the big chains in the poll, otherwise we'll run out of poll options.

Interesting poll BUT it really means nothing. If you live next to a Sobeys you will probably shop there even if a cheaper store (No Frills etc) is in your general area. People tend to shop for groceries where it is convenient (easy walking distance, free parking etc). I live about equidistant from a Metro, a Sobeys and a No Frills so if I am just going for groceries I tend to use No Frills (whose prices are generally cheaper). If I am just picking up one or two items and am passing Metro (or Loblaws) I will go there and there are things that are simply not available at No Frills.

True, but that's not always the case. I'll walk an extra block or two to get to a Loblaws as opposed to a close-by No Frills. Lol. I'll pay the extra 20 cents for a can of whatever for a more civilised shopping experience. :p I was opposed to the Loblaws opening at Maple Leaf Gardens (I wanted it to be a market with shoppes, boutiques, pubs, retail, etc) but it's my main grocery shopping place now (as it is on my way home from work and it's laid out nicely with high ceilings — although the 16 items or few 'express' line is a joke. 16 items is not express!) But, yes, proximity often does trump brand.

Interesting poll BUT it really means nothing. If you live next to a Sobeys you will probably shop there even if a cheaper store (No Frills etc) is in your general area. People tend to shop for groceries where it is convenient (easy walking distance, free parking etc). I live about equidistant from a Metro, a Sobeys and a No Frills so if I am just going for groceries I tend to use No Frills (whose prices are generally cheaper). If I am just picking up one or two items and am passing Metro (or Loblaws) I will go there and there are things that are simply not available at No Frills.

I should certainly preface the poll by saying that these poll results are in no way an indicator of which supermarket is "better". I'm simply curious as to which major supermarket is the primary "go to" place of grocery.

I also know many people, myself included, that don't necessarily go to the closest supermarket. Reasons could be cleanliness of the store, friendliness of staff, product selection, price, volume of shoppers, etc.

Go No Frills go ! I find it the best when it comes to prices ! Of course it varries depending on sales.
The one downtown on Front is really nice too.

How does T&T get its own voting option, yet Longos and Valu-Mart each have more locations in the GTA and have to share a tab with others? If anything, T&T should be in there with the other niche market grocery stores like Pusateri's and Whole Foods....

How does T&T get its own voting option, yet Longos and Valu-Mart each have more locations in the GTA and have to share a tab with others? If anything, T&T should be in there with the other niche market grocery stores like Pusateri's and Whole Foods....

I guess I separated T&T since it's somewhat unique from the other major supermarkets. Longos was definitely one I considered as its own entity but ultimately I ended up putting it in the "other" group. I'm not sure about the number of Valu-mart locations though. Are there really that many Valu-marts in the city?

I live closest to a lack of Valu-mart, which is supposedly closing in the Spring to make way for a redevelopment. Here's hoping it eventually reincarnates as a Loblaws or a No Frills. Sobey's is the next closest store to me. As I am making an effort to walk and transit everywhere, I shop at what's closest. Tonight's ride home from downtown was on the Queen streetcar instead of the Bloor subway so that my trip would take me by Sobey's, which is open long after the lack of Valu-mart closes for the night. Hours obviously play a big role in shopping choices too.

Closest supermarket to me is Pusateri's. Next closest is a Metro and a No Frills equal distance away. Let's just say you are never going to find me in that pusateri's.

I have a Superstore and Metro right near me. Usually Superstore but often I will stop at a Valu-Mart on the way home from work. There are more Valu-marts than one might think in Toronto. It is hard to find on their website because they have it all broken down into Toronto, Scarbough, Don Mills, etc.

We have a Loblaws within 5 minute walk, so usually that wins. But there is also a Metro 10-15 mins away and in 2014, supposedly, there will be a Whole Foods and a new Metro opening at Yonge and Sheppard.

Once the Whole Foods opens, Loblaws will likely never see me again. They are the proverbial fat cat; lazy and apathetic. It will be interesting to see if the step up their game once some real competition comes into the area.

One of the best things about living in Cabbagetown is that we can park the car on Friday and not touch it until Monday, with two economical supermarkets (No Frills and Freshco) within 2 min walking distance.

Back