News   Apr 18, 2024
 279     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Does Toronto needs a new logo? How to improve our image in the world?

Which logo would fit Toronto?

• Matthew Daley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Webb

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Max Young

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Clarice Gomes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Matthew Blackett

• Mark Ruivo

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Kait Bos

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Matthew Bambach

• Status Quo

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

Solid Snake

Member Bio
Reaction score
Happy new year to everyone!

I was reading the newspaper this morning and came across this article about ideas for a new Toronto logo. We can also expand the conversation on how Toronto can improve its image around the world.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...presents-the-face-of-toronto/article16280351/

Matthew Daley
This idea was inspired by the view from my studio in my apartment. It’s an observation of the amount of cranes I see everywhere, due to the city’s present building boom and an exaggerated perspective of them crowding out the skyline. I wouldn’t call it a critique of the boom, especially considering that I live in a condo tower.
MattDaley.png

Matt Webb
Even before Crackgate, Rob Ford's Toronto was basically a circus (complete with dreams of a Ferris wheel!). We should probably just embrace the madness.
MatthewWebb.png

Max Young
The logo aims to pay tribute to Toronto’s past while incorporating the city’s modern values. The five-sided form comes from the city’s original five wards, (Toronto’s early neighbourhoods), and mimics the shape of Fort York, a structure that played an integral part in the founding of the city. The logo’s overlapping ‘ribbons’ symbolize modern Toronto’s multiculturalism.

Tones of blue are used in order to have a connection with Toronto’s past branding as well as its major sports teams. A splash of red is added to indicate the city’s important role within Canadian identity.

MaxYoung.png

Clarice Gomes
This logo is based on ‘The Crystal Entrance’ of the Royal Ontario Museum, a museum of world culture and natural history. The structure appropriately represents Toronto’s multicultural population, but it also encompasses Toronto’s flare for the arts. The attraction brings more than one million visitors annually, and it is a historical building dating back to 1912. Today, the museum is Canada's largest field-research institution, with research and conservation activities that span the globe.
ClariceGomes.png

Matthew Blackett
Toronto is known for its neighbourhoods. Officially, the city recognizes 140 neighbourhoods, so there are 140 circles in the logo representing each of those.

I used the grid format for the circles because the city is laid out in a grid pattern, and I chose circles to play on the idea of Toronto as a “city within a parkâ€, a current tagline (in landscape-design plans, a tree is represented by a circle). Lastly, the colours used are traditional Toronto blue colours used by the Leafs, Blue Jays and Argos.

I like the idea of the neighbourhoods (circles) making up the letter T. What I often hear — but also believe — is that our neighbourhoods often blend into one another. This is why I chose to use a gradient blend with the cyan/royal blue colours.

MattBlackett.png

Mark Ruivo
The main objective for this logo design is to show how multicultural a city like Toronto really is. The use of different rainbow-coloured letters was chosen to captures this. A striped path crossing the entire logo symbolizes a new beginning, peace and fortune.
MarkRuivo.png

Kait Bos
I moved here nine years ago and have had various feelings towards Toronto, ranging from confusion to love, which I think is a common newcomer’s experience. I wanted to create a logo that reflected my feelings, Toronto’s diversity, as well as fit within the Canadian landscape. So I combined well-loved symbology. The layering of the leaves and colour differentiation show the intricacy of Toronto and the layout shows how we all come together as one city.
KaitBos.png

Matthew Bambach
The shape of the logo itself is a more geometric version of Toronto’s boundaries, and I randomly connected a bunch of points within the boundary like a network. I meant for this to symbolize how the city doesn’t really seem to have a central identity, and yet there are lots of random influences that are still interconnected. Blue was an obvious choice, since it’s the city’s unofficial colour and I chose various shades to represent the different cultures blending together in the city. I chose Futura font for the word mark since it is close to the TTC subway font, which I’ve found to be a unique visual signifier.
MatthewBambach.png

Current Logo
Status Quo
20130308-Toronto-Logo.jpg

The logo is more or less fine - though the text portion can use a bit more work. The alternatives offered are at best unindicative of the city, and at worse, ugly.

AoD

Max Young
The logo aims to pay tribute to Toronto’s past while incorporating the city’s modern values. The five-sided form comes from the city’s original five wards, (Toronto’s early neighbourhoods), and mimics the shape of Fort York, a structure that played an integral part in the founding of the city. The logo’s overlapping ‘ribbons’ symbolize modern Toronto’s multiculturalism.

Tones of blue are used in order to have a connection with Toronto’s past branding as well as its major sports teams. A splash of red is added to indicate the city’s important role within Canadian identity.

MaxYoung.png

Toronto had 6 original boroughs - Toronto, East York, York, North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough.

Since this would be a logo for all of Toronto and not just the core, I would definitely not vote for this.

Last edited:
Toronto had 6 original boroughs - Toronto, East York, York, North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough.

Since this would be a logo for all of Toronto and not just the core, I would definitely not vote for this.

Not that it's a particularly good logo, but the logic you have suggested as a basis is a bit problematic - Metro Toronto started off with 13 municipalities, restructured in 1967 to 6, and the current City of Toronto moved on further and basically recognizes 4 at the community council level right now. 6 no longer has anything important meaning other than as a temporary historical footnote.

AoD

Max Young

So you want a logo that only represents the old city?

Why does something that represent the oldest part of the city only represent the "old city"? Don't our heritage and our roots count for something?

I believe that we should modernize this logo:
Metro_Toronto_Logo.jpg

Add more colours to it, as well as making it look 3D.

After all, modernized throwbacks are popular.

JA and everyone: I remember this logo well-with the six circles representing Metro Toronto's six boroughs...

Modernizing it may be a very good idea...LI MIKE

JA and everyone: I remember this logo well-with the six circles representing Metro Toronto's six boroughs...

Modernizing it may be a very good idea...LI MIKE
I must agree. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Nobody complained about the Metro Toronto logo when it lasted. In fact, this logo is still found throughout Toronto, despite that logo being defunct for over a decade and a half.

It shows six circles interlocking with each other.

The Metro logo looks sophisticated. It makes sense to use it since the amalgamated city of Toronto includes everything that made up Metro. The current city hall logo looks simplistic, cheap and inelegant, especially the font for Toronto. It should either be changed or dropped in favour of simply writing Toronto in some good font.

I must agree. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Nobody complained about the Metro Toronto logo when it lasted. In fact, this logo is still found throughout Toronto, despite that logo being defunct for over a decade and a half.

It shows six circles interlocking with each other.

I love seeing the old Metro logo carved into pieces of infrastructure around the city. However, I prefer the current City of Toronto logo to the old Metro logo. What's the point of having a Viljo Revell City Hall, if you're not going to show it off on all your letterheads and business cards.

I love seeing the old Metro logo carved into pieces of infrastructure around the city. However, I prefer the current City of Toronto logo to the old Metro logo. What's the point of having a Viljo Revell City Hall, if you're not going to show it off on all your letterheads and business cards.
Here is a good compromise: put the city hall in the middle of the Metro Toronto logo, preferably the pre-amalgamation City of Toronto logo's version shown below:
OldTorontoLogo.gif

Back