News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 641     0 

Fish & Chips!

Ahsun

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok, it's a dying bred of restaurant in Toronto, but let's hear people's recommendations for the best Fish & Chips across the city.

Looking for quality & good prices. ...and yeah, I'm not gonna be a snob about it so if there's an actual pub with good Fish & Chips, let's here that too!

The 2 that I harken back to when I think of fish & chips is Aunty Mary's at 3750 Lawrence Ave. East in Scarborough (just east of Markham Rd.) and Penrose Fish & Chips at 600 Mount Pleasant Rd. (just south of Eglinton).

I dont eat anything that ever lived underwater, but all of my friends swear by Olde York and occasionally they go to Penrose, both of which are in the Leaside area

I dont eat anything that ever lived underwater, but all of my friends swear by Olde York and occasionally they go to Penrose, both of which are in the Leaside area

Concur.

Also, 'British Style' at Dundas and Coxwell, a few feet east of the corner on the south side of Dundas. Just a little place. 100% everytime. A greasy spoon really but the fish and chips here are very nicely traditionally done.

Penrose... they'll serve fish and chips that are overdone sometimes,,, not sure why they do that.

Which is the best oil/shortening/lard to cook fish and/or chips (AKA french fries) in?

You will need an oil that has a higher smoke point than your cooking temperature. I use peanut oil or grapeseed oil and on days i feel like being cheap corn oil or canola.

If you find yourself just outside of Toronto (but still in the GTA)....Brampton has the Heritage to offer at 3 locations now (plus I hear we are sharing them with Milton too) and other long standing places with quality fish and chips (Henry's is an old fave of mine at Vodden and Main).

Back