1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
For discussion on the individual wards.

To start, Peter Leon (Ward 3), appointed to replace Doug Holyday, is considering breaking his promise and running for council. Paul Ainslie pulled the same stunt (a conservative, appointed in near the end of the Lastman era) but ran in a neighbouring ward.

Star: Appointed Etobicoke councillor Peter Leon considers breaking promise not to run

(Daniel Dale, Jan 1)

Peter Leon promised repeatedly he would not run in the 2014 election if council appointed him to replace Doug Holyday in Etobicoke’s Ward 3.

He was appointed. Less than three months later, he is waffling on his promise.

Leon, who took office on Oct. 10, now says it is “the people’s choice†whether or not he enters the 2014 race. He is keeping his vow “at this point,†he says, but he might change his mind if his constituents encourage him to do so.

Have any council members indicated that they will not be running again in November?

So far, only Doug Ford as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised though if Gloria Lindsay-Luby (Ward 4) doesn't run; she's been absent quite frequently in the last year. She's the councillor representing the area where DoFo and RoFo live.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that feels Doug Ford running Rob Ford's campaign is going to seriously hurt the mayor's chances of re-election? I'm no fan of Rob Ford ( and I plan on giving Karen Stintz my full support ), but I really think Doug Ford is a terrible choice as campaign manager.

So far, only Doug Ford as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised though if Gloria Lindsay-Luby (Ward 4) doesn't run; she's been absent quite frequently in the last year. She's the councillor representing the area where DoFo and RoFo live.

Has Doug Ford actually said he is not running for his council seat? May be semantics but he has said he is running provincially. With that election likely in the Spring....if DF lost is there still time for him to just say "ah well, back to city council I go"?

Has Doug Ford actually said he is not running for his council seat? May be semantics but he has said he is running provincially. With that election likely in the Spring....if DF lost is there still time for him to just say "ah well, back to city council I go"?

The cutoff date for ALL nominations is Friday, September 12, 2014. It is also the last date to withdraw you name.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 is the start date when election signs may be posted. Don't know about fridge magnets.

See this link for the list of the key dates.

Am I the only one that feels Doug Ford running Rob Ford's campaign is going to seriously hurt the mayor's chances of re-election? I'm no fan of Rob Ford ( and I plan on giving Karen Stintz my full support ), but I really think Doug Ford is a terrible choice as campaign manager.
I agree that he's a terrible choice, which makes me awfully glad that's what's happening :)

I'd also wonder about Ron Moeser, given that he's been frequently illness-sidelined...

Any news on Adam Vaughan challengers?

He's my councillor and I want him on Council but I do wish there were a viable competitor to push him into paying attention to his constituents' demands. He's one of those councillors who seems to do what he thinks is right and doesn't do a lot of course correction when people ask him to. He's an I know what's right and what's good for you kind of person and it annoys me sometimes.

From Adam Vaughan, I'll be seeking:

1 - Voting "No" to Billy Bishop Airport expansion and implementing actions that permanently limit Porter's ability to expand. This could include declaring the Canada Malt Silos heritage buildings, designating the area around the silos parkland and then building an extension of Ireland Park to Queens Quay where there's currently a basketball court. A court and baseball diamond would be added to the park for use by the adjacent school and community centre. The airport could never reverse the use of parkland and it would have no where to grow.

2 - Approval of the Mirvish-Gehry development and a new plan for the district. Wider and consistent looking sidewalks with Canada's Walk of Fame implemented in and around the theatre district.

3 - Prioritize burying hydro wires around the ward. A city wide requirement for building underground infrastructure for any new resurfacing of roads/sidewalks going forward would get this done in a decade.

4 - Fighting for funding the waterfront LRT and working with Mike Layton to have it extended to Ontario Place.

He's my councillor and I want him on Council but I do wish there were a viable competitor to push him into paying attention to his constituents' demands. He's one of those councillors who seems to do what he thinks is right and doesn't do a lot of course correction when people ask him to. He's an I know what's right and what's good for you kind of person and it annoys me sometimes.

1 - Voting "No" to Billy Bishop Airport expansion and implementing actions that permanently limit Porter's ability to expand. This could include declaring the Canada Malt Silos heritage buildings, designating the area around the silos parkland and then building an extension of Ireland Park to Queens Quay where there's currently a basketball court. A court and baseball diamond would be added to the park for use by the adjacent school and community centre. The airport could never reverse the use of parkland and it would have no where to grow.

2 - Approval of the Mirvish-Gehry development and a new plan for the district. Wider and consistent looking sidewalks with Canada's Walk of Fame implemented in and around the theatre district.

3 - Prioritize burying hydro wires around the ward. A city wide requirement for building underground infrastructure for any new resurfacing of roads/sidewalks going forward would get this done in a decade.

4 - Fighting for funding the waterfront LRT and working with Mike Layton to have it extended to Ontario Place.

These characteristics are of course what make Adam Vaughan Adam Vaughan (why else would the Toronto Sun hate him and call him the architype of all downtown elites?). Your ideas are also good things to fight for, especially the first one.

He's my councilor as well. You and I essentially share the same priorities and viewpoints.

Two things I'd add to your list:
5. Vaughan's support for the 1 Yonge redevelopment. That's assuming that we don't discover anything horrible about it.
6. A focus on improving the downtown public realm (including burying hydro wires). It's in a hideous state right now. I think we can do better for an area of the city that is essentially Toronto's welcome mat to the world.

He already seems to be on board with the first two you mentioned. Not so sure about the other ones (I haven't been paying too much attention to be honest).

I'm hoping that Vaughan doesn't become too comfortable in his Council seat. As much as I agree with the man, I hate having complacent politicians who ignore constitutes because they know their reelection is nearly guaranteed.

when you say waterfront LRT do you mean the east end one or the Transit City one? The transit city one is pretty much dead, and an extension to Ontario place would be pretty out of the way and silly.

what I would like to see is an increased push for some more streetcar expansions.

Where would you like to see this expansion?

My priorities for downtown transit expansion, in no particular order:
-Relief Line
-Streetcar right of way on either King or Queen. Mr. Byford has requested this and it is desperately needed.
-Upgrade the 510 Spadina Streetcar with signal priority, similar to what we see on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, Finch West LRT and Sheppard East LRT. The 510 has more riders than the Sheppard Subway so I don't think this is an unreasonable request.
-Waterfront East LRT
-Waterfront West LRT

Back