News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 776     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

SJD_Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
A thread to start talking about the upcoming election. We know Mayor Ford and David Soknacki are running.

Since Rob Ford is already campaigning before the legal start date of January 2, 2014, why not have everyone start campaigning now? Any fines would be just a slap on the wrist for all multimillionaire candidates.

Ford was just on 1010, Doug is running his campaign, sounds like he couldn't get anyone else to help. Rob then announced that Doug is running for Etobicoke MPP. Wow, these guys are really something.

Ford was just on 1010, Doug is running his campaign, sounds like he couldn't get anyone else to help. Rob then announced that Doug is running for Etobicoke MPP. Wow, these guys are really something.
Oh, how I'd love to see them both lose.

I thought Doug Ford said he was "eyeing" a run. Also, if he does run, how is he going to manage Rob's campaign AND run provincially at the same time? Unless.....he is a supersuperhero.

This thread will be for discussion on the mayoral election to separate it from "Rob Ford's Toronto" and the speculation on who will run "Next Mayor of Toronto?". I'll set up threads for Ward councillor elections and for the suburban municipalities - both Mississauga (no incumbant) and Brampton (minor mayoral scandal) will likely be amongst the most interesting in 2014.

Hilarious tweet from Don Peat:

Mayor Rob Ford says campaign is going well so far (almost 3 hours after officially registering to run for reelection).

There's a detail I recall from Now Magazine's coverage of the election night party Ford's supporters threw back in 2010. One of their reporters attended and made note of the following exchange: A group of younger guys were chanting "Four more years!" at one point - this was on the evening of his electoral victory as Mayor, mind you - and an older gent who happened to be passing by looked at them in annoyance, and snapped: "Hold on just a minute. Let's wait and see what he actually does first!"

Hopefully, enough people in Etobicoke had this attitude, and were paying attention to the ensuing sideshow. I can't imagine voting for the likes of Ford and being anything but humiliated by the train wreck he turned into. I suppose it all comes down to how many of his base truly are dirt stupid. A good portion of them, sure, more than we'd likely be less than comfortable hearing about...But all of them?

Back