News   Apr 16, 2024
 403     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 756     0 

Flickr "new experience" photo sharing - lack of BB code

chriskayTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello all - not sure if anyone else has encountered this, but if you opt-in for Flickr's new look, it appears they no longer provide BB code to share images. Has anyone else noticed this and found a workaround?

For the moment I've simply reverted to their classic look so that I can pull up the BB code to share any images, but I'd like to find a way to make this work. I can't imagine they would simply omit a way to do this, though stranger things have happened.

I hate to admit it because I'm a big booster, but it appears they are. Are we all headed to a dark future of 80s-tinged Instagram photos at low res?

I hate to admit it because I'm a big booster, but it appears they are. Are we all headed to a dark future of 80s-tinged Instagram photos at low res?

If I leave Flickr it sure as hell wont be for something as crappy as instagram....there are websites like 500px I would try - cameraphone websites are a joke to me.

It's possible YOU won't leave Flickr for Instagram, but people have, and they are a juggernaut. I like 500px and will seriously consider it if Flickr doesn't get their act together, although transitioning from one service to the other seems onerous.

Who knows where we will be in five years, however.

From Flickr's blog:

Here at Flickr we believe that taking, sharing and discovering photos is a daily habit, and with Flickr’s new web embedding feature, it’s even easier to add full-bleed Flickr photos and videos onto your personal websites, blogs and articles.

So what does this all mean? Glad you asked!

First, when embedded, your photos and videos are displayed with their full title and your Flickr name. Attribution has always been important to us, so embeds automatically add those details. Also, we keep track of views of embedded photos and videos from external sites in Flickr stats so you get a sense for how popular your photos really are.

Second, since we respect your copyrights and privacy, the embed feature is only available for publicly shared photos. Private photos will continue to remain private to the select group of people you shared on the photo.

Third, Flickr Web Embeds are contextual and interactive! If you’ve embedded a photo from a set, photostream or group, people will be able to browse through the whole collection. Because Flickr is dedicated to high-quality, full-resolution images, we are also offering a magnificent full-screen viewing experience for the photos on your site. We’ll never compress or resize your images.

So how does this work you may ask? It’s easy.

On the new Flickr photo page, just click on the share button, browse to < />, choose your embed size, and copy the code. Embedded photos will look like this:

That doesn't work on these forums though - if you try that method, this is what happens:

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriskillam/11295716125/player/" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Nevermind - I found a way to make it work - you have to select the share button, then click the push-pin button at the bottom which will reveal the BB code link.

Last edited:

Back