430     0 

God Talk from Rob Ford thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Nut Kruk

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
The main argument against the existence of God is simply that it can't be proved.

Even if we accept that a god does exist, whether that god meets our expectations of what is right and fair is another issue. If we accept the existence of God AND the fact that his version of right and fair is not always what we expect, why should we believe in something whose version of right and fair we are not necessarily able to predict, understand or accept?

I don't really expect an answer to that last question, because religion and its adherents discourage questions and dislike answers that make sense. When someone dies at an early age or from an illness with a greal deal of suffering, or a tragic event, you're not supposed to ask why God would take them away, because God supposedly doesn't deal in explanations and, as I once heard a priest say at a funeral mass, 'Even if He did explain it, we probably wouldn't have the capacity to understand'.

This is essentially encouraging people to give up, stop questioning, stop thinking and accept that something/someone should have control over them without ever being accountable or explicable. This is infantilizing, cruel and a farcical insult to the human capacity for reason and intelligence, and it enrages me. It is why I cannot accept that kind of belief in my life and I cannot respect it as a basis for the action or inaction of another human being.

You posit that a 'sinful' world exists in the first place, which is not proven, and the rest of the argument from there on makes no sense. How can a God be so all-powerful yet not omnipotent enough to prevent suffering among the innocent? Do 'sinful' people, even monumentally evil ones, not sometimes escape suffering to some degree? How is that possible? How is it fair?

More giving up instead of seeking explanations that make sense. Bad things happen, good things happen - none of it can be shown to controlled by anything. 'Everything happens for a reason', as some people, spiritual and otherwise, are fond of saying, is a delusional notion. I'll take 'everything happens because it happens' over that, because trying to accept that good and bad things happen because each individual thing that happens is supposed to happen, no matter how arbitrary it is, is a recipe for making yourself crazy.

If he does exist and allows as many 'good' people to suffer as actually do suffer, he has a lot of explaining to do about how unjust it is. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot - he doesn't do explanations. How convenient.

And no, I am not prepared to accept random, unaccountable suffering that passeth understanding in this life just to get to another supposed existence (again, not proven!) in which such suffering either becomes understandable or no longer exists.

That's an issue regarding people who consider themselves believers, not for atheists or agnostics or people who just aren't religious. Someone who doesn't believe in God but expects help from God in bad times is obviously illogical at best, hypocritical or not actually a non-believer at worst.

To bring the discussion back to Ford, if he has in fact found religion, I don't think it'll help him much beyond his existing group of supporters, and I don't think it'll change him politically. He'll have the same unethical, hypocritical and intellectually dishonest nature as before, just couched in sanctimony and moralizing, when it suits him.

Much of what is considered 'scientific proof' is largely assumptions that we accept as facts (man-made global warming, for example). Science is not a perfect method for determining truth. Many things cannot be proved but we don't question them; watch the following video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQL2YDY_LiM John Lennox's 'Aunt Matilda's Cake' illustration further demonstrates the limitations of science: http://abspoel.blogspot.ca/2008/03/aunt-matildas-cake.html
No one "should" believe in God, that is a personal choice based on one's research. There are many reasons to believe what is written in the bible is true, eg. eye witness accounts from those who wrote it. They were persecuted and martyred, but never changed their story -- literary consistency (written over 1500 years by 40 writers), prophetic consistency, corroborating accounts, global influence, etc.). There will always be aspects about life/God that we'll never understand (while we're here on earth). I understand where you're coming from. Why should we be expected to fully comprehend someone as perplexing a God? We barely even understand our own emotions and purposes in life.

I think God understands that we question Him out of confusion, anger, sadness, etc.; we're not supposed to test Him, but we all have. No one can answer as to why some people die as infants, or suffer a great deal of pain. Even those who devote their life to serving God can succumb to suffering; I've personally witnessed this. It's extremely frustrating trying to figure out why such things occur, but as the priest in your anecdote said, we wouldn't understand. That may sound like a copout, but is most likely true. We know very little about God what plan He has for us all. Perhaps good people who suffer and die young have a purpose in heaven and will enjoy eternity in pure joy -- while some bad people who get away with (at least in their earthly presence) murder, adultery, physical/sexual, emotional abuse, etc. are awaiting their punishment after death? I don't think God expects us to just believe in Him because our parents may have told us to. He wants us to use our ability to assess information and come to our own conclusions. There will never be tangible proof of God's existence. Why He won't make Himself physically known to us is anyone's guess. This is a very complicated subject to talk about, as none of us have all the answers.

Are we not prone to sin? I think it's obvious that we're naturally drawn to it. We've all lost our tempers and shouted at others; that is a sin. We've hurt others physically, emotionally. We've all fantasized about sleeping with someone else's husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc...I don't know how you can argue that a sinful world doesn't exist.

How is my admitting to not understanding God's actions, "giving up"? What explanations am I not seeking that make sense? Do things happen for a reason, I do not know. You haven't really offered an alternative.

Why does God need to justify Himself to anyone? What you consider "just" isn't necessarily what is just in the eyes of God. If He exists and created you, then why must He satisfy your bewilderment? You think He owes you an explanation because as a human you're prone to having your feelings hurt. You, like everyone else, wants to know why life is unfair, in our eyes. This goes back to my original statement, "why must God meet our expectations of what it right and fair?" He doesn't need to explain Himself to us, as He is the truth. Why should His order be contingent on our sensitivities? It is awfully arrogant to demand answers from the one who gave you life (in my opinion). In your view, God doesn't exist or is unjust because bad people get away with their behaviour, while good people are hurting. Your argument is similar to those who want to take away gun ownership rights from law abiding citizens (which basically boils down to, 'If you don't want to ban guns, then you don't care about the innocent children that died at Sandy Hook.') Why fixate so much on the suffering and pain in the world, when there is so much beauty to enjoy? You can either be empowered by suffering, or you can allow it to consume you. I don't mean to come across as insulting, but you and all other atheists I've debated seem to have a very childish purview, a la, 'that's not fair, I'm telling!' You're obviously a very articulate guy, but you're arguments hinge too much on emotionalism. Life can really suck sometimes; get over it. There are no easy explanations for why things are the way they are. Maybe we'll better understand once we die?
"no, I am not prepared to accept random, unaccountable suffering that passeth understanding in this life just to get to another supposed existence (again, not proven!)" How would one prove that heaven and hell exist? They are beyond the realm of the known universe. We barely even understand our oceans, and anything beyond our own galaxy. How can we even prove the existence of God with our limited methods? Mankind is very narcissistic to think that we can explain everything, especially the greatest mystery known to us. Just because we can't say with absolutely certainty that God is real, that doesn't mean He has to be a man-made figure. That is too simple of an answer.

Is that just an issue for believers? You've never called out to God in a time of grief, uncertainty, fear, desperately hoping that there might be truth to His existence and that He would grant you a wish? I'm sure that even the strongest of atheists have tried to make contact with God at some point. Perhaps their lack of faith is partially due to Him not answering their prayers, i.e. if God loved me, He would help me?

Anyway, no responses are necessary. You can just ponder what I have written. This thread should stick to Rob Ford related issues.

Last edited:
Oh man, you don't even want to know what my conception of God is.

Anyway, Dale v Ford: can't wait!

Much of what is considered 'scientific proof' is largely assumptions that we accept as facts (man-made global warming, for example). Science is not a perfect method for determining truth. Many things cannot be proved but we don't question them; watch the following video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQL2YDY_LiM John Lennox's 'Aunt Matilda's Cake' illustration further demonstrates the limitations of science: http://abspoel.blogspot.ca/2008/03/aunt-matildas-cake.html
No one "should" believe in God, that is a personal choice based on one's research. There are many reasons to believe what is written in the bible is true, eg. eye witness accounts from those who wrote it. They were persecuted and martyred, but never changed their story -- literary consistency (written over 1500 years by 40 writers), prophetic consistency, corroborating accounts, global influence, etc.). There will always be aspects about life/God that we'll never understand (while we're here on earth). I understand where you're coming from. Why should we be expected to fully comprehend someone as perplexing a God? We barely even understand our own emotions and purposes in life.

I think God understands that we question Him out of confusion, anger, sadness, etc.; we're not supposed to test Him, but we all have. No one can answer as to why some people die as infants, or suffer a great deal of pain. Even those who devote their life to serving God can succumb to suffering; I've personally witnessed this. It's extremely frustrating trying to figure out why such things occur, but as the priest in your anecdote said, we wouldn't understand. That may sound like a copout, but is most likely true. We know very little about God what plan He has for us all. Perhaps good people who suffer and die young have a purpose in heaven and will enjoy eternity in pure joy -- while some bad people who get away with (at least in their earthly presence) murder, adultery, physical/sexual, emotional abuse, etc. are awaiting their punishment after death? I don't think God expects us to just believe in Him because our parents may have told us to. He wants us to use our ability to assess information and come to our own conclusions. There will never be tangible proof of God's existence. Why He won't make Himself physically known to us is anyone's guess. This is a very complicated subject to talk about, as none of us have all the answers.

Are we not prone to sin? I think it's obvious that we're naturally drawn to it. We've all lost our tempers and shouted at others; that is a sin. We've hurt others physically, emotionally. We've all fantasized about sleeping with someone else's husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc...I don't know how you can argue that a sinful world doesn't exist.

How is my admitting to not understanding God's actions, "giving up"? What explanations am I not seeking that make sense? Do things happen for a reason, I do not know. You haven't really offered an alternative.

Why does God need to justify Himself to anyone? What you consider "just" isn't necessarily what is just in the eyes of God. If He exists and created you, then why must He satisfy your bewilderment? You think He owes you an explanation because as a human you're prone to having your feelings hurt. You, like everyone else, wants to know why life is unfair, in our eyes. This goes back to my original statement, "why must God meet our expectations of what it right and fair?" He doesn't need to explain Himself to us, as He is the truth. Why should His order be contingent on our sensitivities? It is awfully arrogant to demand answers from the one who gave you life (in my opinion). In your view, God doesn't exist or is unjust because bad people get away with their behaviour, while good people are hurting. Your argument is similar to those who want to take away gun ownership rights from law abiding citizens (which basically boils down to, 'If you don't want to ban guns, then you don't care about the innocent children that died at Sandy Hook.') Why fixate so much on the suffering and pain in the world, when there is so much beauty to enjoy? You can either be empowered by suffering, or you can allow it to consume you. I don't mean to come across as insulting, but you and all other atheists I've debated seem to have a very childish purview, a la, 'that's not fair, I'm telling!' You're obviously a very articulate guy, but you're arguments hinge too much on emotionalism. Life can really suck sometimes; get over it. There are no easy explanations for why things are the way they are. Maybe we'll better understand once we die?
" no, I am not prepared to accept random, unaccountable suffering that passeth understanding in this life just to get to another supposed existence (again, not proven!)" How would one prove that heaven and hell exist? They are beyond the realm of the known universe. We barely even understand anything beyond our own galaxy. How can we even prove the existence of God with our limited methods? Mankind is very narcissistic to think that we can explain everything, especially the greatest mystery known to us. Just because we can't say with absolutely certainty that God is real, that doesn't mean He has to man-made figure. That is too simple of an answer.

Is that just an issue for believers? You've never called out to God in a time of grief, uncertainty, fear, desperately hoping that there might be truth to His existence and that He would grant you a wish? I'm sure that even the strongest of atheists have tried to make contact with God at some point. Perhaps their lack of faith is partially due to Him not answering their prayers, i.e. if God loved me, He would help me?

Anyway, no responses are necessary. You can just ponder what I have written. This thread should stick to Rob Ford related issues.

I'm sure that was all great and enlightening, but it's so long-winded I think I might have sprained my finger scrolling past it.

Actually, the idea that God's system of morality, and our own system of morality are incongruent is a great argument for secularism, because it implies that humans are capable of establishing a morality independent of the existence of some supreme being. And if God isn't the foundation of our system of morality, what's the point of paying any attention to him/her/it.

Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not steal
Honour thy mother and thy father
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
Thou shalt not commit adultery

*Though these laws are taken from The Old Testament -- which is basically the jewish holy book -- they are upheld by Christ.

Are those not pretty prevalent rules that we are expected to obey; religious or not? Breaking the first two of those laws is punishable with prison time, and or death. How is God not the foundation of our system of morality? All the freedom you enjoy is due to the influence of Christianity.

There are many reasons to believe what is written in the bible is true, eg. eye witness accounts from those who wrote it. -- literary consistency

The fact that there is no supernatural is self evident, so arguing about the attributes of the supernatural is a waste of time.

If you are referring to the Christian bible (whichever differing version you prefer), then it is a 4th century invention, and while the original authors are unknown, they certainly were not contemporary to the time they wrote about (the life & times of a fictional fellow named jesus). Literary consistency?? The four "gospels" tell 4 different stories. The were no eye witnesses, because it's fiction.

This thread should stick to Rob Ford related issues.

Then why bring up this supernatural nonsense? (which I will refute every time it is told)

ONK, your blithe dismissal & wilful misunderstanding of the scientific method in your first sentence made the rest of your unmitigated bullshit understandable. Thanks for the tell. No pondering necessary.

Did you watch/read the links I posted or did you stop when you saw the global warming reference?

Faaaaaaaaaaaaart

That's a lot of words to say "I'm an insulting, know-nothing prick that likes to think highly of himself." I'll never get tired of reading/hearing people who believe obvious fairy tales are real tell people like me that we're arrogant and childish for not believing them too. It's no surprise that Ford (in his own half-assed, hamfisted way) is attempting to appeal to people that "think" like this. It would be as much a waste of time to show you the multitude of things you're utterly wrong about in your post as it is to explain the facts of the whole Ford saga to someone still dullwitted enough to support him, and this will be my final response to you. I apologize to everyone else for helping further the derail, but argggggghh people like this are frustrating.

Anyway I hope Dale nails that rotten bastard in court. Go Dale!

Last edited:
That's a lot of words to say "I'm an insulting, know-nothing prick that likes to think highly of himself." I'll never get tired of reading/hearing people who believe obvious fairy tales are real tell people like me that we're arrogant and childish for not believing them too. It's no surprise that Ford (in his own half-assed, hamfisted way) is attempting to appeal to people that "think" like this. It would be as much a waste of time to show you the multitude of things you're utterly wrong about in your post as it is to explain the facts of the whole Ford saga to someone still dullwitted enough to support him, and this will be my final response to you. I apologize to everyone else for helping further the derail, but argggggghh people like this are frustrating.

Anyway I hope Dale nails that rotten bastard in court. Go Dale!

If God is an obvious fairytale, why is it so difficult to demonstrate that? Why is Pope Francis Time Magazines person of the year if God is as real as Santa Claus? Why was he headline news, around the world, when he became Pope? People say that Christianity doesn't matter -- yet even secular news, print can't get enough. Show me that God is an imaginary figure. You can't. I never said you're arrogant and childish for not believing in God. What I said is that all atheists I've debated have deduced that God's absence of existence -- in their view -- is a result of Him allowing good people to suffer and bad people to get away horrible acts. That is based on my own personal experience; I don't know what your opinions are.

If God is an obvious fairytale, why is it so difficult to demonstrate that? Why is Pope Francis Time Magazines person of the year if God is as real as Santa Claus? Why was he headline news, around the world, when he became Pope? People say that Christianity doesn't matter -- yet even secular news, print can't get enough. Show me that God is an imaginary figure. You can't. I never said you're arrogant and childish for not believing in God. What I said is that all atheists I've debated have deduced that God's absence of existence -- in their view -- is a result of Him allowing good people to suffer and bad people to get away horrible acts. That is based on my own personal experience; I don't know what your opinions are.

You can't prove that God ISN'T imaginary, though, can you? I think that's a bigger impediment to believing in something than what that something does or does not allow to happen.

New popes are always news. The Vatican is the closest thing the religious world has to being a world power.

It's also news when a place like North Korea gets a new leader. The coverage doesn't mean the media legitimize or accept what that leader stands for, though.

Rob Ford would alienate some of his supporters and opponents alike if he were to profess a new-found faith; it's not universally viewed the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back