News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

A Future Toronto?

yonderbean

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was recently offered a chance to travel in time to a future Toronto. I was told the risks were low as long as I got a full course of immunization shots to prepare me for almost two centuries of bacterial and viral evolution.

Of course I jumped at the opportunity.

I was in for a bit of a shock.

11244818223_f402d2765f_o.jpg

This is an illustration for the current issue of Spacing.

The view is looking roughly NW from above Harbour Square.

A couple of details:

11244747944_006fa35b02_o.jpg

11244820723_7f774d05e3_b.jpg

My Flickr

Last edited:
Love it. Very Life-after-people-ish with a hint of Miyazaki. Is Spacing going to be issuing posters of that?

AoD

Last edited:
I've certainly been inspired by Life-after-People and such - its been a popular theme of late. I thought of adding more people, but at the scale I was working they'd be mere specks. The one person in there is rather hard to find. But I wanted to make sure the place still looked inhabited by some resilient folks. The appear to sail around in colourful boats so things can't be too bad...

I'm selling a limited run of prints (34" x 15", $150). Some are available at the Spacing Pop-up store at Richmond & Portland, and I'll have some at the Spacing party this Tuesday at the Great Hall on Queen west. Otherwise if anyone's interested they can contact me though my website.

Love it. Very Life-after-people-ish. Is Spacing going to be issuing posters of that?

AoD

Last edited:
Glad ya'll enjoy it. It was a lot of fun to work on.

I was tempted to come up with a story and make up plausible scenarios for everything, but in the end I just ran away with it in favour of an overall impression. I can't really imagine what would make the CN tower fall over like that, short of a deliberate sabotage, but it fit Spacing's horizontal page-spread and tied in to an illustration I did for their disaster issue.

I also wasn't sure what would cause the level of lake Ontario to rise several metres either, but I really wanted to see a marsh and condo towers poking out of the lake. And boats docked right at the dome...

BTW, the scale and location of all the buildings is accurate, based on google maps, with the exception of the most foreground buildings which I just made up. I went so far as to model Ice Condos based on the real floor plans. And the octagonal tower at the end of the pier is the enwave facility.

Last edited:
Didn't I see this on morning television (sorry, forget which show) the other day (i.e. the ruins of Toronto)? Very cool.

Didn't I see this on morning television (sorry, forget which show) the other day (i.e. the ruins of Toronto)? Very cool.

Yeah, CTV invited me on for a few minutes yesterday. It was a surreal experience. I haven't seen it, and I'm hoping I didn't appear too deer-in-the-headlights. Being nervous I felt about a third as articulate as I wanted to :p

Last edited:

Back