139     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 591     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     0 

Etobicoke City Centre

D

doady

The skyline from Six Points. Somewhat difficult to walk through here but I was able to manage. I live in
Mississauga after all so I am used to it.
original.jpg

Kipling Avenue
original.jpg

Skyline from Kipling
original.jpg

Kipling subway station with new Tridel condos already built and being built behind
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Islington bus terminal. It sometimes smells like urine here because the TTC closed the washroom
to save money on maintenence. This terminal is going to be redeveloped soon.
original.jpg

original.jpg

Bloor St.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Dundas Street. This is Islington Village and the rest of the pics are of this place too.
original.jpg

Lots of development going on in Etobicoke's city centre as you can see
original.jpg

original.jpg

Dundas and Burnhamthorpe intersection
original.jpg

original.jpg

Even more new condos
original.jpg

Great pics, doady, this is an area we don't see often enough! Six Points has got to be the most convoluted traffic maze in the whole GTA.

Not an attractive area. Maybe its the snow. Maybe in 10 years I will change my mind.

Thank You.

I suppose the pics look kind of crappy because I was feeling tired and very cold by the time I got to the nicest area (Islington Village) because I was walking outside for 3 hours and probably did not take as many pics as I should have.

Traffic Hazard #1 in Toronto: that "Private Pleasures" chick you see when going eastbound on Dundas via Six Points

Actually Islington Village is very nice. And the homes around that area are really nice old streetcar suburb style homes. And you can walk to the subway.

Etobicoke however is City Centreless. Its city centre never developed like SCC or NYCC.
SCC and NYCC have a skating rink, civic centre, etc.

Etobicoke Centre has none of that.

Mike: Agreed. Other than Islington Village and a couple of blocks on Bloor near Islington, this area has been pretty bleak. There are a lot of new condos going up now which may help a bit. The area is still dominated by railway lines, big overpasses, and many acres of old industrial buildings just to the south.

Theres development. But it won't feel like a city centre though.

You go to SCC or NYCC, and you know you are in the regional centre of that suburban area, with the civic centres, skating rinks, shopping, major bus transfers.

Etobicoke Centre really has none of that. Its just a strip along Bloor to most people.

You go to SCC or NYCC, and you know you are in the regional centre of that suburban area, with the civic centres, skating rinks, shopping, major bus transfers.

Are you kidding me? Etobicoke City Centre is a much busier transit hub than SCC, being the major stop for both TTC and MT buses. It has the subway and the pedestrian friendly streets, which is more than can be said of SCC.

I'd take ECC over SCC anytime. But it does need more work. I'd like to see some highrises on the south side of Bloor and Islington. And the overpasses do need to go.

I'd take ECC over SCC anytime. But it does need more work. I'd like to see some highrises on the south side of Bloor and Islington. And the overpasses do need to go.
I fully agree with you on the high rises part. I do live on the north side and I think the neighbourhood could benefit by increasing its density on the south side. However there are established houses in the area so it'll be harder to do.

All in all, nice pics and as many say Islington Village is the beginning of Urban Toronto. I didn't see one shot of my building though. :p

Etobicoke City Centre is a much busier transit hub than SCC, being the major stop for both TTC and MT buses."

I wouldn't go so far as to call ECC a "much busier" transit hub than SCC. It does have more TTC routes than any other station plus GO and Greyhound.

Islington and Bloor or Islington and Dundas are vastly better than SCC. The Islington Village is the kind of place where I can actually walk, whereas SCC is a mess.

Kipling in Dundas needs some improvement, though. The interchange they have there is a serious barrier to improving the area. Now the NIMBYs that live there have gotten used to it and don't want them to get rid of the interchange. I wonder if any progress is being made on that project to replace the interchange with a more pedestrian-friendly intersection.

ECC and SCC are different in a few fundamental ways. ECC is not built around a suburban format shopping centre and has a much more integrated street network with its surrounding area. As well, there were more units of housing in ECC than SCC until quite recently and this housing stock is of a more varied nature in terms of type, age and ownership. In addition, there seem to be more neighbourhoods within walking distance of ECC, such as Bloor West Village, etc.

In addition, there seem to be more neighbourhoods within walking distance of ECC, such as Bloor West Village, etc.

Take my word for it. Bloor West Village is quite the walk from ECC. The Kingsway is a bit more realistic.

Back