News   Apr 26, 2024
 522     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 385     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

If Toronto gets the Olympics, does she need to build another stadium?

barrytron3030

Member Bio
Reaction score
Dear infrastructure and athletics enthusiasts,

If we were to host a Summer Olympics, would we need to build another stadium, equal to or larger than the Rogers Centre?

I'd imagine we'd need another soccer-friendly stadium to host the soccer tournament. But would we need a Beijing Bird's Nest as well? Is the Rogers Centre sufficient?

If we were to host a Summer Olympics, would we need to build another stadium, equal to or larger than the Rogers Centre?

I'd imagine we'd need another soccer-friendly stadium to host the soccer tournament. But would we need a Beijing Bird's Nest as well? Is the Rogers Centre sufficient?
It would also help with Canada getting the FIFA World Cup as well.

If it has a roof (fixed or retractable), then it can be used to host the Super Bowl as well.

However, such a stadium would be very expensive (right down to the necessity of selling seats to season ticket holders with too much money).

If Toronto were to be awarded the games - of course they would need a new stadium - which would help Canada's 2026 World Cup bid. Soccer games at that Olmypics could be played at Rogers Centre, in Hamilton and in Ottawa.

It should be a modular stadium that could be downsized to 40,000.

There's a whole thread on the Toronto 2024 Olympic bid. It has lots of comments about infrastructure etc.

Canada bidding for the World Cup is a joke. We've only qualified once and the results were disastrous.

Actually wasn't a complete catastrophe. It's true we lost every game and disn't score a goal but we were 11 minutes from tying France and lost to Hungary and USSR by 2-0. There have been worse showing at world cups.

The short answer is yes....Rogers Centre cannot accomodate a track. So while there would be good uses for a stadium like Rogers Centre at an Olympics...it would not mean we don't need a new stadium.

Actually wasn't a complete catastrophe. It's true we lost every game and disn't score a goal but we were 11 minutes from tying France and lost to Hungary and USSR by 2-0. There have been worse showing at world cups.

I'm sure there have been worse World Cup performances; that doesn't make Canada's lone appearance any less disastrous than I stated. Not scoring a single goal is pretty much as bad as it gets.

Back