News   Mar 28, 2024
 307     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 675     0 

What's the deal with Remy's bar?

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am almost tempted to 'save' people from going into Remi's in Yorkville. It is profoundly awful. Ate there 20 years ago and haven't tried again. Its always empty inside and the layout hasn't been invested in, ever.
What's the story with this place? It has arguably the best location in Yorkville but the owner just doesn't seem to care. Is it some sort of mob-owned, money laundering thing?

I am almost tempted to 'save' people from going into Remi's in Yorkville. It is profoundly awful. Ate there 20 years ago and haven't tried again. Its always empty inside and the layout hasn't been invested in, ever.
What's the story with this place? It has arguably the best location in Yorkville but the owner just doesn't seem to care. Is it some sort of mob-owned, money laundering thing?

You ate there 20 YEARS ago? Have you actually been into it since then? Though I have never been there I think that if I wanted to I prefer looking at reviews on Yelp, they are generally quite positive and 'somewhat' more recent! BTW, it's Remy's ....

You ate there 20 YEARS ago? Have you actually been into it since then? Though I have never been there I think that if I wanted to I prefer looking at reviews on Yelp, they are generally quite positive and 'somewhat' more recent! BTW, it's Remy's ....

The better than average reviews come from summer time visits where people have had something to drink (and only drink) on the roof top patio (which is quite nice). That is the only saving grace about this otherwise crappy restaurant

The better than average reviews come from summer time visits where people have had something to drink (and only drink) on the roof top patio (which is quite nice). That is the only saving grace about this otherwise crappy restaurant

Having something to drink in a highly visible spot is the answer to why any place in Yorkville is popular.

The neighbourhood has been surpassed on cuisine, culture, and fashion for more than a decade now. It's a middle class suburban tourist trap surviving on a long passed reputation convincing people to pay $25 for a shitty brunch because they heard a C list celebrity was spotted there 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Having something to drink in a highly visible spot is the answer to why any place in Yorkville is popular.

The neighbourhood has been surpassed on cuisine, culture, and fashion for more than a decade now. It's a middle class suburban tourist trap surviving on a long passed reputation convincing people to pay $25 for a shitty brunch because they heard a C list celebrity was spotted there 15 years ago.

'C list celebrity' what the hell are you talking about? I will have you know I saw Brian Linehan and Al Waxman at the same time. Don't be talking C-list...

'C list celebrity' what the hell are you talking about? I will have you know I saw Brian Linehan and Al Waxman at the same time. Don't be talking C-list...
You're right, those are Z-list :p

BTW, isnt Linehan dead?? Did you see his ghost?? I wanna see pics

Truth of the matter I saw them at the old Bistro 990 on Bay north of Wellseley in the 90s. Took some visitors out for dinner during the film festival to see the Stars. To put on a show for the crowd Al Waxman walked across the restaurant to grandly greet Linehan. It was awful.

There have long been rumours that this place basically exists to launder money. I've seen some very sketchy people playing pool upstairs there.

I've seen Hells Angels go in there wearing their colours and parking their bikes outside 145 Cumberland st.

I've seen Hells Angels go in there wearing their colours and parking their bikes outside 145 Cumberland st.

I can think of about 3 places that don't even try to look legit. I wonder whether money laundering is why so many Yorkville restos have a "we don't give a shit" vibe? That place now called Crema and its precedents comes to mind.

One place years ago on the south side of Yorkville had tables set, electric candles light on each table, flowers - but NEVER a single customer or waiter to be seen. I assume the doors were also locked. I assumed some Eastern European mafia kingpin needed a place to show his mother when she visited.

Back