News   Apr 26, 2024
 206     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 449     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

One question about Downtown Toronto.

I think there was a thread on this very topic years ago. Anyway, for the most part, I'd agree with those borders.

edit: I'd probably go with Spadina and Parliament north of Queen.

Last edited:
What do you consider the borders of Downtown? I have Bathurst, Bloor, the Lake and the Don Valley.

Is this right, or is it too big?

I think there was a thread on this very topic years ago. Anyway, for the most part, I'd agree with those borders.

Here is the thread in question - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18191-Where-is-quot-downtown-Toronto-quot

And for the record I would agree with those borders as well. For the sake of debate, I think midtown's borders are a bit less black and white.

Those boundaries are accurate, but Yorkville has a downtown character with vibrant streets and skyscrapers, so I now include Yorkville as the north end of downtown. The boundary line would be Davenport Road, with Dupont as the northern boundary line for the Annex (also a neighbourhood at the north end of downtown).

I'm a Spadina to Sherbourne man myself. (Bloor to lake, obvi)

...though....the more time I spend living more centrally and the more friends I have living more centrally, we've started to refer to downtown as being a smaller and smaller geographical area....most of the time we mean just the CBD-St Lawrence-Harbourfront, really.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by downtown. for most people living in Markham or Vaughan downtown is essentially anywhere with streetcar access.

Southern border: Obvious
Northern border: Rosedale Valley/Davenport/Dupont
Eastern border: Don Valley
Western border: Bathurst (north of Queen), Dufferin (south of Queen)

This is what makes the most sense, and is also the official borders as put forward by the City.

Southern border: Obvious
Northern border: Rosedale Valley/Davenport/Dupont
Eastern border: Don Valley
Western border: Bathurst (north of Queen), Dufferin (south of Queen)

This is what makes the most sense, and is also the official borders as put forward by the City.

Provide the link, please!

Last edited:
I'm a Spadina to Sherbourne man myself. (Bloor to lake, obvi)

...though....the more time I spend living more centrally and the more friends I have living more centrally, we've started to refer to downtown as being a smaller and smaller geographical area....most of the time we mean just the CBD-St Lawrence-Harbourfront, really.

Soon it will just king and bay ;)

most of the time we mean just the CBD-St Lawrence-Harbourfront, really.

The "CBD" is just a term that is synonymous "downtown".

Most people get confused when confronted with the term "Financial District" and assume it is what is otherwise called the "Central Business District", when it isn't. Toronto's Financial District is just a very small, highly specialized area of the CBD or Downtown area itself.

Most cities do not have a Financial District.

Downtown is generally mixed use; it's not just a business district. CBD doesn't seem that useful a term in Toronto, so I'm not surprised that no one uses it here. Not much business happens on the U of T grounds or on the residential streets of Cabbagetown, for instance. The common Canadian term that is sometimes used instead of "downtown" is "city centre".

Back