News   Mar 28, 2024
 593     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Condominium issues

Condo Madness

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a forum for condominium issues. As most of you know, buying a condo is not always a risk-free, no worry lifestyle. It can be a very frustrating, expensive and confusing experience.

Most common problems in condos are:
People
Parking
Pets

Here is a place to post about all these problems.

Last edited:
If you are a manager of a condo or apartment, I would like to get your feedback on an idea that aims to create better landlords (and tenants), and thus a better living experience.
I am part of a startup developing a platform that improves residents’ living experience by enabling efficient and responsive communication between you and your property manager. Tenants will be able to submit repair requests using their smartphone: our app allows tenants to take a picture of the issue and send a description in seconds. (Tenants can also do this on their PC if they don’t have a smartphone). Landlords receive an organized list of requests and can update tenants on repair status. Landlords can also send real-time building notices electronically to their tenants to inform them of emergencies or critical updates.

If you have feedback on this, please send me a message and I would like to gather your insight. Thank you in advance.

If you are a manager of a condo or apartment, I would like to get your feedback on an idea that aims to create better landlords (and tenants), and thus a better living experience.
I am part of a startup developing a platform that improves residents’ living experience by enabling efficient and responsive communication between you and your property manager. Tenants will be able to submit repair requests using their smartphone: our app allows tenants to take a picture of the issue and send a description in seconds. (Tenants can also do this on their PC if they don’t have a smartphone). Landlords receive an organized list of requests and can update tenants on repair status. Landlords can also send real-time building notices electronically to their tenants to inform them of emergencies or critical updates.

If you have feedback on this, please send me a message and I would like to gather your insight. Thank you in advance.

Isn't that just Buildinglink?

Nice to have this forum.
I have a question about our rights in a situation that just happened to me.
As those who live in condos know, oftentimes property management send contractors into the units to fix something or to deal with maintenance issues. In my case they did not lock up after they finished and came home to an unlocked door. So anyone could have just walked right in and stolen or damaged my property. Would the property management be responsible for any losses? It is hard to prove that the door was unlocked or more precisely not relocked by security. I'm sure they would try to get out of any responsibilities and I'd be screwed if something was stolen as a result. Thanks.

often times property management send contractors into the units to fix something or to deal with maintenance issues. In my case they did not lock up after they finished and came home to an unlocked door. So anyone could have just walked right in and stolen or damaged my property. Would the property management be responsible for any losses? It is hard to prove that the door was unlocked or more precisely not relocked by security. I'm sure they would try to get out of any responsibilities and I'd be screwed if something was stolen as a result. Thanks.

I have never heard of this happening before.

Sure the superintendent may deny that he did not lock the door. That is human nature.

I would send the property manager a letter stating what happened and I would keep a copy on file.

It can't undo what happened but it could be important if this situation happens in the future either to you or to a different unit.

Nice to have this forum.
I have a question about our rights in a situation that just happened to me.
As those who live in condos know, oftentimes property management send contractors into the units to fix something or to deal with maintenance issues. In my case they did not lock up after they finished and came home to an unlocked door. So anyone could have just walked right in and stolen or damaged my property. Would the property management be responsible for any losses? It is hard to prove that the door was unlocked or more precisely not relocked by security. I'm sure they would try to get out of any responsibilities and I'd be screwed if something was stolen as a result. Thanks.

As someone that has worked as security/concierge, your situation is not too uncommon. Do you know who opened the door to your unit? Generally, security does not have those keys on hand - they are kept within the fire panel room or in the property managers office. The superintendent does have access to the master keys and is the one that can open the door. Security has the right to open a door as well, but only if the individual is an owner or the unit, not a tenant. So if there was work that needed to be done in your unit, the property manager would give security or the superintendent the authority to open the door. They should have then closed the door once the work was completed. If someone was lost or stolen, then the security company and/or property management would be responsible for losses.

Can an existing condo that includes all units in the building, be sold to a developer if less than 100% of the owners agree to sell? My friend is in this situation right now and does not want to sell their condo unit, but was told he will have to. I can't imagine being forced out of your home if everyone doesn't agree to sell. This got me really curious and I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this.

Can an existing condo that includes all units in the building, be sold to a developer if less than 100% of the owners agree to sell? My friend is in this situation right now and does not want to sell their condo unit, but was told he will have to. I can't imagine being forced out of your home if everyone doesn't agree to sell. This got me really curious and I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this.
Interesting question! I assume that the condo CORPORATION would also have to sell the common elements part of the building and significant changes to the common elements (a sale would seem to be that) require an 80% or 90% vote of all owners.

Interesting question! I assume that the condo CORPORATION would also have to sell the common elements part of the building and significant changes to the common elements (a sale would seem to be that) require an 80% or 90% vote of all owners.
Yeah, I find this to be very interesting too. Over 80% of owners recently voted to sell. What's scary is that some owners will lose money (I'm assuming the ones that voted against selling). Apparently, one owner just purchased their unit and moved in a few weeks just before they voted. I'm guessing they're not too happy and will be consulting a lawyer.

The Act explains the procedure and an 80% vote is enough to dissolve a Condominium Corporation. See

Termination with consent

122. (1) A corporation shall register a notice terminating the government of the property by this Act if,

(a) the owners of at least 80 per cent of the units, at the date of the vote, vote in favour of termination; and

(b) at least 80 per cent of those persons who, at the date of the vote, have registered claims against the property, that were created after the registration of the declaration and description that made this Act applicable to the property, consent in writing to the termination. 1998, c. 19, s. 122 (1).

Notice of termination

(2) The notice of termination shall be in the form prescribed by the Minister, shall be signed by the authorized officers of the corporation and shall include a certificate stating that the persons described in clause (1) (b) have consented in writing to the termination. 1998, c. 19, s. 122 (2).

And in particular:

Right of dissenters

125. (1) A corporation that has made a sale under section 124 and every owner in the corporation shall be deemed to have made an agreement that an owner who has dissented on the vote authorizing the sale may, within 30 days of the vote, submit to mediation a dispute over the fair market value of the property or the part of the common elements that has been sold, determined as of the time of the sale. 1998, c. 19, s. 125 (1).

If your friend does not want to sell they need to go to mediation/arbitration ASAP. Time to hire a lawyer!

Back