Toronto 1050 Sheppard West | 48.16m | 14s | Choice Properties | Wallman Architects

Finally, its about time something replaced that used car lot. Because this site has direct access to the station, perhaps they could increase the height of the building to create more of a statement. The adjacent uses can get redeveloped along with this parcel to provide a continuous mixed-use streetscape along Sheppard West

15 storeys would already be reasonably tall for the site… but I'm not saying it couldn't go a little higher.

The used car dealership is Vision Automotive Group.

The developers are UrbanCapital, Allegra Homes, and Alit Developments.

The rendering looks hot. Trying to get permission to run it!

…oh, and in October, North York Community Council directed that a community consultation on the project be set up. I haven't seen any evidence of it having happened yet.

Last edited:
Also a catalyst for stronger design initiatives, potentially setting a new standard for future developments around Downsview.

Nice tease, looking forward to the renderings!

Found it :D

PWRr3pL.jpg

Agreed. Very attractive design. I'd be happy if variations on this theme showed up on future phases (were there to be any).

Jan 12 Very small lot and too bad they can't get the building to the east of it to make this work better.
11929125635_987aa5ccfc_b.jpg

11929121685_c0af5b31b0_b.jpg

11929584054_fca5acf2b2_b.jpg

It's interesting that it took 18 years for a used car lot right beside a subway station to be developed. (18 years since Downsview station was built)

It's interesting that it took 18 years for a used car lot right beside a subway station to be developed. (18 years since Downsview station was built)

Part of that is that for the last 20 years the suburbs have seen the most growth. Now that we are becoming increasingly urban and more transit dependant sites like this will go faster than before.

Looking at this initial rendering, I cant help wonder why no attempt was made to incorporate the existing subway entrance into the base of the building. I actually love the building and given its context in a unique intersection, I think it will make a great impact...However, I think the curved brick wall on the existing subway entrance acts as a barrier between the building and the street. This may pose issues to the overall pedestrian realm and have an impact on the proposed retail units fronting Sheppard Ave W. I think the base of the building should be redesigned to at least provide a better connection to the existing subway entrance. A simple solution may be to replace the curved brick wall on the subway entrance with a glass curtain wall which doesnt protrude so much onto the sidewalk.

Back