News   Mar 28, 2024
 307     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     0 

Rogers Centre to Get Real Grass Field

egotrippin

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos..._field_after_toronto_argos_leave_by_2017.html

So I thought this was an interesting bit of information: it seems the Rogers Centre Skydome will be getting real turf at the end of the 2017 season. Also part of this change will be the Argos leaving and looking for new digs.

Clearly there won't be a new purpose-built stadium in the works, but I wonder where they'll end up. Real grass is pretty exciting though. From a game perspective it does change gameplay a bit (from ball reaction and fielding perspectives) and the AstroTurf just never quite looked "right" compared to classic American stadiums with real grass.

(Mods, let me know if this is better suited to the Out & About forum, seeing as it's a mix of building upgrades and sports discussion.)

It's quite common at soccer/football stadiums. I remember the tour guide at Old Trafford in Manchester talking about it; he made it sound like it was the groundskeepers' religion!

Apparently they will install grass every year in March and take it out after the season.

This makes sense, since the 'Dome is used for other events during baseball's off season. As far as irrigation goes though, I guess there'll be a system as part of the whole installation since the roof is closed on rainy days. Or perhaps they'll just keep it open all season so we can get the American ball field experience!

Back