Toronto U of T: Myhal Centre for Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship | ?m | 8s | U of T | Montgomery Sisam

greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
U of T: Engineering Faculty Expansion (47-55 St. George St, 11s, ?)

From: http://www.engineering.utoronto.ca/...y_Seeks_to_Construct_Engineering_Building.htm

"With the need for more physical space growing, U of T Engineering is set to address that need in a big way. Though in the early planning stages, the Faculty hopes to erect a new building on the current site of Simcoe Hall’s parking lot – one of the last remaining spaces available on campus to build upon.

On February 29, the “Site 10†project was given the initial green light by U of T’s Planning & Budget Committee of Governing Council. The first step is to establish a Project Planning Committee."

Listed Heritage building at 45 St. George St will be retained. Demolition of 1s addition is proposed.

Additional info from this planning pdf [10mb]

Suspected that parking lot wasn't long for this world.

I think the most interesting part of that PDF you posted was the other four locations identified for future buildings. The size they're applying for on College just east of University is larger than MaRS across the street!

They also want to demolish this

450px-49_St._George_Street.JPG

Another hideous Husky Boy bites the dust. Cry me a river.

The former radio station headquarters was built in 1892 and 47 St. George is 1900. I don't think its their appearance thats matters, its the fact these once private homes are reminders of St. George Street's character.

Agreed. It's really interesting to get a glimpse of what the street looked like before it was all U of T.

If you want to see what it looked like just go north of Bloor, or even south of College for that matter. A lot of those residential neighbourhoods are largely untouched. Losing one (not particularly nice) structure on this stretch doesn't seem like a tremendous loss. Though I do hope that the replacement has a little more texture and is scaled more nicely than the new Rotman building

Back