332     0 

Petition to rename the Rogers Centre to Rogers Skydome

Yay or Nay

• Rogers Skydome

Votes: 57 93.4%
  • Rogers CEntre

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
I like the Rogers Dome. Maybe a new name will stop the Jays from losing? ;)

I'm all for it, but I guarantee it won't happen.

There's a reason why Rogers took out 'SkyDome' completely. Nobody will call it the "Rogers Skydome" while describing it, they would simply keep calling it the Skydome, and Rogers gets no benefit from a generic name with no corporate branding. Calling the stadium "Rogers Centre" forces those describing the centre to use the Rogers name.

It will always be Skydome to me.
I refuse to call it by it's now name..
Everyone in the world knows it as Skydome- the only folks who use it by it's new name are the corporate folks who named it and promote it

Cry Rogers a river for not getting recognition when referencing the dome....
Are you going to pay for the new signage and to re-print all their literature or marketing materials?

They own the place, they get to name it - that's how it works. You can use the name or not, but expecting them to re-name it for you?

You should add a poll option for "The name doesn't matter to me, it's not up to us to tell them how to name it"

I'm all for it, but I guarantee it won't happen.

There's a reason why Rogers took out 'SkyDome' completely. Nobody will call it the "Rogers Skydome" while describing it, they would simply keep calling it the Skydome, and Rogers gets no benefit from a generic name with no corporate branding. Calling the stadium "Rogers Centre" forces those describing the centre to use the Rogers name.

I voted yes.

But you're most likely right.

As much as I hate to say it, it's not going to happen. The quick and dirty renaming of SkyDome was done purposely, to eliminate all reference to the Dome, which as a descriptor would have entered common useage ("the Dome").

And the apologists for Rogers (like Marko above) - as I hate to say that too - are correct. They bought it, they can name it what they want. Still the way it went down, with that [unprintable] Godfrey mixed up in it at both ends, still angers me.

Ballparks are by tradition never called Centres. They're usually called fields (Turner Field, Progressive Field, Wrigley Field), parks (Fenway Park, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Comerica Park) or stadiums (Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Busch Stadium). Even other completely enclosed stadiums are not called "centres" - that is reserved as an alternate name for arenas, especially multi-purpose arenas (hockey, basketball, concerts).

Should it have been called Rogers SkyDome, or even Rogers Dome? Yes, I think so. It would have been respectful, but it wouldn't force their corporate identity down our throats. It's not even easily shortened, like the ACC, which is how most people call that facility. But even 'Rogers Field' would have been at least a nod to the tradition of naming baseball/football venues. "Rogers Centre" is crass (and still so, like the silly addition of a statue in front in honour of Ted), so it's still SkyDome for me.

Last edited:
And the apologists for Rogers (like Marko above) - as I hate to say that too - are correct. They bought it, they can name it what they want.
I'm not a fan of Rogers, nor of the name change either, really - I'm just stating what should be obvious, but clearly isn't.

Just want to mention that the mods can't change the poll options. The only option would be to close this thread and start a new one instead.

Just want to mention that the mods can't change the poll options. The only option would be to close this thread and start a new one instead.
I ask this in the general forum function sense - the OP can edit their own post and change the poll, no?

I won't derail the thread any further than to say there are a lot of little things that don't function well with this forum. MANY opportunities for improvement.

Back